Garden thread

Pics
I knew the gardening bug would bite sooner or later. Been focusing on veggies so far but I still have available space in my perennial shade garden (which is finally starting to look more filled in) so I wanted to get some stuff planted in there, because I know stuff that goes in later in the year doesn't seem to weather the winter so well.

Went to check out the hardware store yesterday, the weather was bad so I figured it wouldn't be busy... wow it was packed! Almost no herbs, no fuchsias, veggies were pretty picked over (mostly just hotter peppers left). Shade plants were kinda hit or miss... I got some ornamental grasses and ground covers.

Made an appointment to go to the local nursery this afternoon (you get half an hour to shop) and they had shishito peppers and sun gold tomatoes, so that takes care of all the edibles for the year! 🤞 Still no fuchsias. Picked up more ground covers to fill in spaces in my shade garden. Really looking for some corydalis and bleeding hearts. I'll try a bigger nursery maybe in another week or two.

I got my peas planted today and cleaned up the yard some more. Trimmed back a non-blooming rhododendron (don't know why it doesn't bloom, probably soil acidity, but I may dig it out anyway), and fixed the new cover/screen on my 4x8 raised garden so I can start planting in that (the chickens had figured out how to get in).

My lavenders are a mess and I don't know what I am doing with them. Maybe I should have trimmed them all down at the end of the season last year. Idk.

Planted male and female hardy kiwis today, 3 blueberries, sage, thyme, 2 tomatoes, and sprouting shasta daisies as well. This is all on our homestead property. Last week we got in 2 apple trees and we will plant a third sometime this week. The varieties are Fuji, Gala and Honeycrisp. Fenced it all off so the deer can't get to it. The soil there is incredibly rocky, so it's hard work digging out the holes. We are really excited about it all 🥰

Finally got my garden fencing up yesterday! I've had various veggies sprouting in my house for months and I'm ready to get them in the ground. I have two Aerogardens (both purchased at a local ReUse Center for less than $20 each) and have been starting things since January. Needless to say, I have nothing in the ground but have already eaten a couple cherry tomatoes 😅

It did snow here last week though so there's that. But between my now fenced garden and the half of a chicken coop I have built, I feel like such a slacker 🙃

Anyone else feel like they've been dragging their feet for too long and the projects just keep stacking up?

Back
Top Bottom