Are you gardening this year?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 45 95.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Probably not

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I heard about those this year and am about to try them! What do you think about them?
TP roll pots worked very well. They're big enough to start tomatoes and peppers and take them all the way to hardening off (usually). They're fine too for the stuff I want to start just a couple weeks early, like squash. And last year, they kept the voles from eating my peas and beans before they sprouted. Paper towel rolls are good; just cut them in half.

Because I start a lot of plants, it helps that these are small. Otherwise I'd need a LOT more potting soil.

TP roll pots worked very well. They're big enough to start tomatoes and peppers and take them all the way to hardening off (usually). They're fine too for the stuff I want to start just a couple weeks early, like squash. And last year, they kept the voles from eating my peas and beans before they sprouted. Paper towel rolls are good; just cut them in half.

Because I start a lot of plants, it helps that these are small. Otherwise I'd need a LOT more potting soil.
Thanks for the tips! Uh oh, smaller pots will only enable me to have more plants! :lol:

I have quite the list this year. Perennials already in ground:
Blackberries
Pawpaw
Persimmon
Strawberry
And muscadine cuttings that have hopefully rooted.
I’ll also be adding plums, raspberries, artichokes and mulberries this spring.
We will also have a small herb garden.
The main garden will have
bush beans
rattlesnake pole beans
French green beans
Kidney beans
Lima beans
Cow peas
Water melon
Winter squash
Summer squash
Pumpkins
Cantaloupe
Corn
Okra
Luffa
Lettuce
Peas
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
14 kinds of Tomatoes
Hot peppers
Sweet pepper
Onions
Green onions
Radishes
Beets
Swiss chard
Carrots
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Spinach
Collards
Kale

I have quite the list this year. Perennials already in ground:
Blackberries
Pawpaw
Persimmon
Strawberry
And muscadine cuttings that have hopefully rooted.
I’ll also be adding plums, raspberries, artichokes and mulberries this spring.
We will also have a small herb garden.
The main garden will have
bush beans
rattlesnake pole beans
French green beans
Kidney beans
Lima beans
Cow peas
Water melon
Winter squash
Summer squash
Pumpkins
Cantaloupe
Corn
Okra
Luffa
Lettuce
Peas
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
14 kinds of Tomatoes
Hot peppers
Sweet pepper
Onions
Green onions
Radishes
Beets
Swiss chard
Carrots
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Spinach
Collards
Kale
:love Great variety! How big is your garden space?

:love Great variety! How big is your garden space?
The perennial bed is probably about 1600 square feet.
The main garden has about 14000 tilled up but I’m not sure exactly how much we will use. It’s our first year planting in this spot normally we use the 10,000 square foot field in front of the house but we are letting all but a small section of it rest this year.

Yesterday I planted some cat grass and catnip to start growing inside for my kitty.

@Artichoke Lover I got pumpkin seeds myself and was wondering how you grow those. I know the process is long and you need a lot of space
What zone are you? That will make a difference in how you grow them. They are very similar to winter squash or melons if you’ve grown either of those before?

Yesterday I planted some cat grass and catnip to start growing inside for my kitty.

@Artichoke Lover I got pumpkin seeds myself and was wondering how you grow those. I know the process is long and you need a lot of space
Do you know the numbers of days to maturity? Some varieties are as short at 90 days, others can be 120 or more. I'm in zone 3, and stick to 90-100 day varieties.

Squash grows well with corn. It does need space, but the vines do well spreading between the rows of corn. It's a great space saver, and the vines help keep the weeds down. They do need ample water, as does corn, which is another reason they make good companions.

Back
Top Bottom