Gender and Breed help.

HomesteadnMama

In the Brooder
May 23, 2016
Ontario
Hello I was given these four pullets. Im now thinking one is a cockerel. I believe the two black ones are Ameraucanas and pullets, the beige one a Bantham? Pullet and the larger brown one I'm not sure at all. I would really appreciate any input anyone can offer. Thank you in advance.

I could definitely keep him, we living out in the country. My concern is I am very new and originally only wanted four pullets to start ( for my comfort) I purchased a 4x6 Quaker Style Coop and built a 16x16 run. My understanding is that there should be a ratio of 1 Cockerel for 8 Pullets. I don't believe my coop would house another 5 pullets.

The ideal number of hens for one rooster is about 7-10 (I know, I have too many roos
hide.gif
). You have three pullets for one cockerel right now. That is probably ok for the time being. If you can, maybe you could get one or two more hens but you don't need eight to keep him happy.

I agree that you have one cockerel, and they all appear to be easter eggers.
Agreed!

The black ones could be Australorps. (pullets)
Australorps are single combed and have wattles -- these birds are pea combed and have bearding/muffs -- when identifying breeds it's important to consider all characteristics.

Back
Top Bottom