getting another parakeet, will they fight?

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
hi! i have a parakeet tha i got not too long ago! but she does not like me lol, she is scared me! i try and get her used to me! but she is stubbern. so i fill bad for her and want her to have a friend! so im going to get another parakeet. what gender would be best so they dont fight?! and how big of a cage is big enough for two parakeets? she was just a baby when i got her from petco, thats the last time shes been around other birds. i really dont want them to fight!

They won't fight. I recommend you get a female parakeet to avoid the risk of breeding, but you can get a male if there is no nest box to lay eggs in. She'll probably avoid the other bird vice versa, but slowly they will become friends. I think a 18x30x18 flight cage would be good for only 2, but bigger is always better. Good luck, post pics of the budgie when you get it so I can sex it.

Thanks for this thread, I'm actually getting a parakeet soon. Can you tell what gender it is by the nose part? I forget what it's called, but I read online that it's a male if it's pink, blue or violet colored. And it's a female if it's brown colored. I'm getting my parakeet and two months. Sorry to distract you guys, I just remembered that I'm not supposed to post my own problem on this thread. But yeah thanks for starting this thread cuz I'm curious too.

Males have blue nostrils. Females have a tan-pink colored nostrils. If your now parakeet is a girl, get a girl. If it's a boy, get a girl. Either one just get a girl. Boys and girls will only mate with a nest box and large cage/nest box. There are ways to prevent them from mating or laying eggs, also prevents the males from fighting. Though males CAN live in peace. I had a male and female parakeet, they loved each other but they had never mated.

I find that males don't fight to the death, but they don't really like each other that much. They do live in peace. I also have heard of very aggressive females that like to fight with males. Usually females fight when there are nests available. I find that even budgie fledgling can be sexed immediately. Some males have a pink nostril, while some females have a light blue. Though you can tell if it is female if there is a very light circle around the nostrils, while male budgies ceres are a consistent color throughout.
main-qimg-52b5f19c36d8b2c64a82f099fb5943f9

Thanks for this thread, I'm actually getting a parakeet soon. Can you tell what gender it is by the nose part? I forget what it's called, but I read online that it's a male if it's pink, blue or violet colored. And it's a female if it's brown colored. I'm getting my parakeet and two months. Sorry to distract you guys, I just remembered that I'm not supposed to post my own problem on this thread. But yeah thanks for starting this thread cuz I'm curious too.
When you get your parakeet, just post pics of it in your thread so everyone can tell what it is. Do you have any idea what color you want or where you are going to buy it from?

Maybe not all parakeets will fight but some will. When I was a kid and we were moving, my parents gave our male parakeet to a family friend with a very dominant female parakeet. We found out later she killed him though I don't have any details.

Back
Top Bottom