Goose attacked by dog

IceHax

Songster
Oct 10, 2018
northern Italy
one of my 5 toulose geese was attacked by one of my two dogs tonight. It was entirely my fault, i usually close them up right before sunset, but today i was studying for an important exam and i figured i would do it before dinner instead, my dogs tolerate all the birds in the day, but for some reason they tend to attack them if they are still out when the sun goes down. when i went outside to close them in their pen for the night i found thousands of feathers all over my garden, it looked like as if someone destroyed a pillow and emptied it in my garden. i went to look for my hens, ducks drakes and geese but could not find any injured bird since it was dark, then i found one of the 5 geese walking around with all the others, with blood on her sides and neck, i picked her up and brought her inside to see what had happened. she has three wounds that i think were caused by the dogs plucking the feathers, and one where it looks like the skin might have teared a little (on the back of the neck) i cleaned all of the wounds with hydrogen peroxide and then sprayed iodine solution on the wounds to make sure no one would peck on her, i then wrapped everything in gauze. She doesn't care about it at all, she just wanted to stay with his friends, as soon as i put her back in they all greated her and they cuddled together like they do at night. I haven't had a chance to see if she eats and drinks yet since it is nighttime, but i have no reason to believe she wouldn't, she walks and acts normally. is there anything else i should do other than changing the gauze every day and spraying disinfectant once or twice a day?

Sounds like you've got things under control. I'm sure your dog got beat up as well....

The only thing I would add to what you're already doing is to use some antibiotic ointment on the wounds, just to keep it supple until they heal. You could also add some Bcomplex and Nutridrench to their water/food for a couple days to give that immune system a boost.

Update: I think she might have some difficulty moving her neck, I couldn’t see her drink or eat at all today, but I might have missed it... she follows all the others around no problem though... I cleaned the wound and I saw her move the neck, so she should be able to eat and drink if she wanted to. The wound on the neck worries me, you can clearly see where the down was ripped off and where the skin was reared, that would definitely need some staples if it was on a human, but I’m not sure what to do about it, at this point I’m just keeping the wound clean and letting her body repair the wound :/

Has it gotten pretty cold where you are yet? Flies wouldn't be an issue, would they?
It goes down to 0C in the night (32F) and in the days it stays around 5-15C (I think 40s to 50s F). I don’t really have many supplements at hand since they are not so common to come around here. The best I could do is to add electrolytes to the water, but they drink so much (around 20-40 liters per day) so I’d have to add a lot of it

Back
Top Bottom