Got an offer for 2 free roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Shutter Up, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Shutter Up

Shutter Up Out Of The Brooder

So as the title says - i got an offer for 2 free roosters - 1 buff orphington and 1 Rhode Island Red. (their "young roosters" and the family didnt really "plan" on having roo's - just kinda happened from what I hear. Kid 4H kinda thing. But their not really a rooster raising family) I have 7 Americauna & 1 Black Copper Maran hens.

Now - here is my elementary chicken raising question - understanding the mechanics of chickens and roosters and "mating" - how do I keep my free range hens free from embro's in their eggs?

Plus - is it "ok" - to have 2 other breed roosters with my Ameraucana's?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  2. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Fertilized eggs taste the same... If you incubate the eggs a chick may develop but if you incubate an unfertilized egg it would be a very rotten egg. Just keep them fresh in the fridge and no one will know different.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yup. They have to be incubated to develop, which has to be right around 100 degrees F. I've eaten fertile eggs off and on all my life, and I have never once cracked an egg and found a half developed chick. Actually, a small percent of store bought eggs are fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by