grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
@campingshaws, looks like they're all panting a bit.

Has she laid yet today? Sometimes an egg can press against the air sacs and cause labored breathing and funny noises.

She seems to be alert and active. I'd observe her for any odd symtpoms that develop (ie: drippy nostrils, lethargy, hunched and puffed, going off food/water).

MrsB

Last edited:
@campingshaws , looks like they're all panting a bit.

Has she laid yet today? Sometimes an egg can press against the air sacs and cause labored breathing and funny noises.

She seems to be alert and active. I'd observe her for any odd symtpoms that develop (ie: drippy nostrils, lethargy, hunched and puffed, going off food/water).

MrsB

It's pretty humid today. I noticed the others. She's the only one honking, which isn't typical. She had her wings out, but so did some others. I guess they've forgotten what our summer weather is like.

Or maybe they all have something. :(

Chickens pant and hold their wings out when they are hot. ^_^

You could give them some buckets filled with ice water for them to cuddle against. :) Chicken AC!

MrsB

Wishing, I've got a golden retriever with spring/summer skin allergies. The vet gives her a shot of steroids when it flares up, and within a couple of days she's fine. However, I've read that adding coconut oil to their daily food will not only help get rid of allergies, but it's great for their skin and coats. I'm going to try it.

I'm going to try it too. Coconut oil seems to be the latest magic elixir! I keep seeing ads and articles about it, but using it for the dog is a great idea. She'd older and didn't have this problem until middle age. I'd rather find a preventative than have to go get treatment after the fact. I can handle a few hot spots, but she also gets these large and mysterious abscesses that don't have any obvious cause (no entry, no marks or scratches, no foreign bodies inside) but they only happen this time of year. Worst one involved her abdominal cavity. Vets though she had an aggressive cancer, but it was just massive inflammation/infection. If the coconut oil makes her skin healthier, we will all be happier. I might try it on my hair too!
big_smile.png

I use coconut oil on my skin and hair. And in baking. I've given it to the dogs for itching, but I don't remember it every day so I haven't seen any results. Once a week is not the answer. ;)

Just remember: it only takes a dab. My hair is down past my waist and I rubbed a pea-sized dollop through damp hair. And it stayed "damp" looking for three days! I use a half-pea sized amount for my elbows/knees and other dry skin. It's not greasy at all and soaks right in, as long as you just use a dab.

The amount of coconut oil for dogs to be given in their food is 1 tablespoon for every 30 pounds of weight mixed right into their food. I've heard great things about it for skin and hair, too. Mostly I use it for baking and cooking, but I've also tried "swishing" it like mouthwash (sounds as weird as it actually is, but really makes your teeth whiter and feel silky smooth).

On another note, I ordered 6 chicks from greenfire farms! They will be here May 20th. I can't wait to put them under my big sweet broody black Orpington! :D

The amount of coconut oil for dogs to be given in their food is 1 tablespoon for every 30 pounds of weight mixed right into their food. I've heard great things about it for skin and hair, too. Mostly I use it for baking and cooking, but I've also tried "swishing" it like mouthwash (sounds as weird as it actually is, but really makes your teeth whiter and feel silky smooth).

On another note, I ordered 6 chicks from greenfire farms! They will be here May 20th. I can't wait to put them under my big sweet broody black Orpington!
big_smile.png
Thank you for the coconut oil info!
What kind did you order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom