Green Egg Envy: Our attempts at breeding our own olive eggers!

Well
That Araucana isn't a recognized color, and that comb looks more like a rose comb than a pea comb. I hate to break it to you, but he might not even be part Araucana. True Araucana are even harder to get than true Ameraucana. He's pretty, but I wouldn't be counting on green egg laying pullets from him.

He also has a tail and too much waddles.
Well, I can only go off what I was told!
big_smile.png
I received him from @sharol who hatched him from eggs that were given to her by @chicken danz . So maybe they can weigh in! I was told he would be a good blue egg roo.
woot.gif

Last edited:
Well

Well, I can only go off what I was told!
1f604.png
I received him from @sharol who hatched him from eggs that were given to her by @chickndanz. So maybe they can weigh in! I was told he would be a good blue egg roo.
1f44d.png

He hatched from a blue egg. The breeder said he was a possible throwback.

There's barring in the hackle and saddle feathers, and he's got a lot of yellow/gold leakage; neither of which are accepted.
June, he wasn't supposed to be a show quality bird. His parents were both pure, and he hatched from a blue egg. He should (and I emphasize should) produce some pullets with the blue gene. Danz has a confinement system that doesn't allow for cross breeding, so I'm convinced he is pure.

Keep in mind, this little guy is being used to produce green eggs. We will just have to wait and see if some of his offspring lay green.

Also, he was a gift. No money changed hands. I just wanted a good home for the little guy so that he would have hens of his own (and it looks like he is enjoying his job).

June, he wasn't supposed to be a show quality bird.  His parents were both pure, and he hatched from a blue egg.  He should  (and I emphasize should) produce some pullets with the blue gene.  Danz has a confinement system that doesn't allow for cross breeding, so I'm convinced he is pure.

Keep in mind, this little guy is being used to produce green eggs.  We will just have to wait and see if some of his offspring lay green.

Also, he was a gift.  No money changed hands.  I just wanted a good home for the little guy so that he would have hens of his own (and it looks like he is enjoying his job).
Yep! He is very happy and so are my parents (and myself) we could care less about show quality, just looking for a nice rooster with blue egg genes. :)

June, he wasn't supposed to be a show quality bird. His parents were both pure, and he hatched from a blue egg. He should (and I emphasize should) produce some pullets with the blue gene. Danz has a confinement system that doesn't allow for cross breeding, so I'm convinced he is pure.

Keep in mind, this little guy is being used to produce green eggs. We will just have to wait and see if some of his offspring lay green.

Also, he was a gift. No money changed hands. I just wanted a good home for the little guy so that he would have hens of his own (and it looks like he is enjoying his job).
If he is supposed to be a Splash from a BBS only pen, how did he end up with barring? It's not exactly a gene that 'hides'.

There's barring in the hackle and saddle feathers, and he's got a lot of yellow/gold leakage; neither of which are accepted.
I think you need to study your knowledge of araucanas. There are both golden duck wing and silver duckwing araucanas from which have gold and the duckwing pattern which shows barring and are allowed in the APA. I sold my duckwing stock but still have some offspring I breed from. Also from what I see I think that is sun bleaching as much as gold coloring.
And no one said he came from a BBS only pen. I said he was bred from BBS parents including blue black white and splash birds. I didn't say there wasn't any duckwing in his background. No one cares in this instance what his show qualifications are. If I sell a bird for show it will be as perfect as can be. But like Sharol said, I donated the eggs for her to hatch under a broody.
You can take the top of the top bred birds who will win every show, and end up with offspring that aren't show worthy.
I sell or cull undesirable birds and don't use them to breed with.
@venymae is just trying to produce a green egg layer which he absolutely will using thick cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom