Green Egg Envy: Our attempts at breeding our own olive eggers!

caf.gif
Waiting not so patiently to see what color eggs the girls lay (from the first hatch).

Well, if my little cockerel can ever figure out the logistics of breeding I will. That was the plan, but he isn't too competent (keeps falling off LOL). He is still a youngster. Right now the Breda cockerel is breeding the Araucanas more than he is and the eggs STILL aren't fertile. Probably those little rounded tail feathers. I think Danz sometimes trims tail feathers, and it may come to that. If I start seeing fertile eggs and he gets his act together, I'll isolate the 4 of them for a few weeks and see what happens. @chicken danz has chicks sometimes. You might check with her. She is near Burlington, and it isn't much of a drive. (that is where I got my hatching eggs last year)

Last edited:
Araucanas don't have enough feathering on their backsides to get in the way in my experience. I'm filling orders for chicks right now but as soon as I can fill those I'll have spare chicks or eggs for sale. I imagine they are all just too young yet, Sharol. It takes a while for the egg factories to work just right. I had the same problem with my initial Araucanas after they first started laying.

Araucanas don't have enough feathering on their backsides to get in the way in my experience. I'm filling orders for chicks right now but as soon as I can fill those I'll have spare chicks or eggs for sale. I imagine they are all just too young yet, Sharol. It takes a while for the egg factories to work just right. I had the same problem with my initial Araucanas after they first started laying.
Thanks for the info, Danz, I'll be patient. The last thing I need now is more babies. Day 15 and going fine in the 'bator.

I do have a question. It seems like when I add water morning and evening that the temp goes up a degree or two and then returns to normal. What's up with that? I use warm water (to the touch) through an aquarium line -- about 3 t. at a time. I get edgy every time I see that 101.9 or 102 on the thermometer. It doesn't last long, but....

I'm looking forward to seeing your results. I have 4 "cream legbar" chicks/ pullets. They have all sorts that make them non standard but they hatched from green blue eggs. I also have a wheaten marans chick/ cockerel, so I have been planning to get a couple of incubator loads of them before I eat my marans. He hatched from a medium brown egg, but it was very shiny and a bit speckled.

Back
Top Bottom