Greenhouse advice

yogifink

Songster
9 Years
May 16, 2013
Pinebluff, nc
My Coop
My Coop
I am planning to build a green house the week after Thanksgiving and am hitting a road block with design ideas and could use a bit of insight.

For those of you who have greenhouses and or have built them, what do you like and what would you do differently?

I am thinking about going with pole barn construction with a gambrel style roof line using polycarbonate panels for the roof and walls with wood siding along the base, maybe about 3 feet tall. Any thoughts on this?

My goal is to get this done for less than our around $500 for something in the ball park of a 10x15.

Last edited:
Hi there,
I'm in the process of building a greenhouse - I got the idea from motherearthnews.com. They have some great ideas. Anyway, I bought 3 panels of livestock fencing 4 x 16 ft. anchored the ends between two 4x4s' side by side, held in place by 3' tie bars, and bent the panels into a sort of semi-circular shape - height of 6' in the center. Anchored the other side the same. Have ordered 6mm clear plastic for cover. Ends of the 'tunnel' are wood panels, but you could use plastic also. Total cost will be under $250. It's difficult to explain clearly, but visit the web site. I think you will find the poly panels are expensive, Sue

Thanks for the input Sue; I’ve actually got a coop just like that. The panels work very well.

However, we are looking to make a structure that’s got a fair amount of space as this is for business purposes. The only thing I will need to purchase are the polycarbonate panels, so I think my cost goal is attainable.

My main question is what do you like and not like about your current greenhouse, so that I can take that into consideration.

Has anyone used the polycarbonate panels? Do they hold heat well in the winter? Is the a preference to using a certain roof style and why?

My likes are primarily cost, ease of build and portability if necessary. If I had the time/money to invest, I think I would dig into the ground a couple of feet, that way you could invest in worm & compost power. Theoretically, the house would stay warmer that way, take care of your compost & give you rich worm castings.............oh to dream eh? Sue

Back
Top Bottom