MamaBirds_Quail

Chirping
Aug 25, 2022
Does anyone use a portable greenhouse structure to keep their quail? How did you fortify it?

I was originally considering something like this:
3C66E2AF-4C2D-4B76-9E41-8A1094E17CD9.jpeg

With chicken wire zip tied to the bottom/ potentially around the sides to prevent predators? It’s 10’x 3’ and 20” tall

But now I’m considering a bigger aviary style made from something like this:
CE43BA89-5635-4B8D-84A2-33F225BCB0B3.jpeg

Also with hardware cloth/chicken wire around the bottom (zip tied to the shelving structure inside the cover maybe? So I could remove the cover for circulation in summer?) and either cinder block or large crushed rock along the outside? I’d also frame out a real door— I’m actually thinking of having the door start 18-24” up so there’s solid wire around the bottom/zero chance for birds to scoot out as one of my kiddos walks in or out, thoughts?

I think my kids would enjoy being able to sit with the birds in an aviary space, and I have ever so many house plants and props that would benefit from a greenhouse, it’s tempting!
I’ve read a few accounts of people keeping quail in framed greenhouses so I already feel confident they wouldn’t destroy the plants, I’m just not wanting to invest in a permanent structure right now.

I also have a 10x10’ canopy frame that I could convert maybe? I’d love to see what y’all have done in the semi-mobile aviary DIY department!

I had a door about 12" up in my greenhouse and I kicked it constantly. Less would be fine, just enough so they don't just wander out like my best bug eater did occasionally.

Definitely watch the temperature. The smaller the greenhouse, the harder it is to cool. I had a swamp cooler, fan and mister in my greenhouse so I could use it for plants in the summer with the door wide open. I could only keep quail there in the winter.

On the plant safety side, my quail DEVOUR most of the plants I put in their coop, so make sure that if the plants you're putting in the greenhouse aren't for their benefit that you keep them on shelves to avoid any unwanted plant murders :)

Would replacing some of the polycabonate sides with chicken wire make it more manageable as a run during summer? I don't have the greenhouse yet to look at it closely to see if it's even an option, but i was thinking of gearing it out according to season. Make panels with wire for summer, swap the roof one that'd give shade, etc... idk how possible that'd be though

Would replacing some of the polycabonate sides with chicken wire make it more manageable as a run during summer? I don't have the greenhouse yet to look at it closely to see if it's even an option, but i was thinking of gearing it out according to season. Make panels with wire for summer, swap the roof one that'd give shade, etc... idk how possible that'd be though
Shade cloth might help. My greenhouse sides roll up, and I'm planning on putting hardware cloth under so deer can't get in and birds can't get out.

Fans will also help.

Back
Top Bottom