Guinea hens with hurt backs

Roos

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2022
Brazil
Hello all!

Earlier this month, one of my guinea hens got hurt in her back and under her wing and died from sepsis at the vet. Now a second one is hurt, she's staying at the vet with a good chance of recovery. But the wounds are so deep! The vet thinks the male Guinea did it, but we owned one male and three females (down to two girls now), it doesn't seem likely he's over mating (and aren't guineas monogamous?). Has anyone ever heard of male guineas hurting their hens during mating?

Anyways, they free range in a fenced area with the chickens. We are now suspecting the rooster, a small bantam. Would it be possible? Wouldn't the Guinea male chase him away and protect his girls?

I've attached the (graphic) pic bellow.

We are new to guineas. Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG-20230123-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20230123-WA0014.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 83
Hello all!

Earlier this month, one of my guinea hens got hurt in her back and under her wing and died from sepsis at the vet. Now a second one is hurt, she's staying at the vet with a good chance of recovery. But the wounds are so deep! The vet thinks the male Guinea did it, but we owned one male and three females (down to two girls now), it doesn't seem likely he's over mating (and aren't guineas monogamous?). Has anyone ever heard of male guineas hurting their hens during mating?

Anyways, they free range in a fenced area with the chickens. We are now suspecting the rooster, a small bantam. Would it be possible? Wouldn't the Guinea male chase him away and protect his girls?

It is most likely your rooster that is causing the injuries.

I have never had a guinea cock hurt a guinea hen during breeding.

If your guinea cock is trying to prevent the rooster from breeding the guinea hen, the rooster can rip the hen open while trying to stay on her back.

Guinea cocks are not necessarily monogamous. It does work best to have equal or nearly equal hens and cocks with guineas. It also works best to not keep guineas and chickens together.

Hello all!

Oof, that looks so painful! R2elk has some good thoughts about roosters - they can really rip hens up and he might try to mate a Guinea hen. If they are free ranging though, that could be a predator attack. My dog has grabbed my Guinea fowl a few times when they flew in her pen, and two had wounds in this location. I think a hawk trying to grab one might also choose this area. Hope your bird recovers!

Sooo painful! The first thing I said to the vet was that I wanted her immediately medicated for the pain. And they are so sweet, poor girls.

But indeed, I think the rooster is guilty. We do not have many predators here, we have harpies in the area, but not in the open, and the high fence and the dogs keep foxes away.

I've just separated the roo, we will build him and his girls a separate enclosure. I've always kept an eye on the guineas thinking they would bully the chickens, I feel so naive and guilty for not thinking it could happen the other way around! But at least now I know and will fix things. Thank you so much everyone!

Sooo painful! The first thing I said to the vet was that I wanted her immediately medicated for the pain. And they are so sweet, poor girls.

But indeed, I think the rooster is guilty. We do not have many predators here, we have harpies in the area, but not in the open, and the high fence and the dogs keep foxes away.

I've just separated the roo, we will build him and his girls a separate enclosure. I've always kept an eye on the guineas thinking they would bully the chickens, I feel so naive and guilty for not thinking it could happen the other way around! But at least now I know and will fix things. Thank you so much everyone!
Best of luck with your new setup!:fl

Back
Top Bottom