Halloween Hatch-A-Long 2017

Pics
We have a new baby here! My broody silkie, Angel, successfully hatched her one egg that I allowed her to keep on her first attempt at brooding. Could be silkie x BCM or pure silkie since either would give blue babies but we'll see as she feathers in. She definitely has the silkie vaulted skull so she should have a nice crest :)

IMG_2645.JPG
IMG_2643.JPG

So orginally had 21 Eggs in the bator.
Last night candled them all.

Of the original 15 silkie eggs given to me, one had a blood ring. All other 14 are developing.

Of the 4 silkie eggs that came from the fridge (my old silkie's egg), one is a dud, completely clear. Another had a blood ring, and last two are developing. So two of those left.

I also happened to check in the nesting box, to see if by any chance there were the ebay shipped eggs my broody was setting on before she was killed. Of 7 only two were not cracked. I put those two in the bator as well, and they are both developing.

:fl

Pretty good candling results. Sorry about the broody hen.

Nope, not even after I left bad feedback.

That really stinks.

We have a new baby here! My broody silkie, Angel, successfully hatched her one egg that I allowed her to keep on her first attempt at brooding. Could be silkie x BCM or pure silkie since either would give blue babies but we'll see as she feathers in. She definitely has the silkie vaulted skull so she should have a nice crest :)

View attachment 1161382 View attachment 1161383

Congratulations!

View attachment 1161382 View attachment 1161383
Cutie :love

Help please
I am on day 15 and my EE is very full, not much air space fir how long I have to go yet.
The eggs are small and very, very hard shell and membrane, I can drop them and they will crack but not leak anything.
The last hatch I lost them all, and they had absorbed the egg sack.
do I assist, and how early.
thanks for the help

I thought once they were incubated for a few days, the bullseye can no longer be seen. :confused:

I believe you are correct.

Fair enough I have questions then. Here are pictures of my eggs (pretty bad photos but I swear they looked better in person!). All but one were set the 3rd of October, oone was set the 10th. I thought none of them were fertilized except one (I wasn't sure on that one but guessed that it had started and died in the blastula stage) I can see the germal disk on all of them, is it just that the out ring that indicated fertilization disappears? I'm curious now because I swore I was told otherwise. Also, is there a way to make my pictures smaller? They always come up so huge!
eggspots.jpg

The D'Ucccles and the Wyandottes were shipped from basically the same area at the same time, different sellers. All looked ok on arrival (other than one had a hairline crack that could only been seen when candling, could have happened in shipping or before shipping) and air sacs looked fine, let them all rest for 48 hours prior to setting in the incubator. You can see the stats on the Wyandottes as opposed to the D'Uccles.
I had d’uccle shipped from a nice woman on BYC and they are doing good :) considering my temp was off:he but they are 3 weeks old now! Good luck!!

Help please
I am on day 15 and my EE is very full, not much air space fir how long I have to go yet.
The eggs are small and very, very hard shell and membrane, I can drop them and they will crack but not leak anything.
The last hatch I lost them all, and they had absorbed the egg sack.
do I assist, and how early.
thanks for the help
I’ve only ever hatched from incubating.. Day 15 is way to early! Look for internal or external pip around day 21. The biggest mistake is to assist to early. This thread and forum has been my go to and so many amazing people to help! Good luck!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/incubating-hatching-eggs.5/

Back
Top Bottom