Halloween Hatch-A-Long 2017

Pics
china marker
whats this? and:

your chickie is like my piggies..
img_20161128_131947-jpg.1169935

cute piggies!!

FIRST POST OF THE DAY! (sadly:rolleyes:)
Candled the school eggs during our parent teach conference today. Turning the heat up .5 degrees must have done the trick because all 5 are doing great! :celebrateI'm feeling more confident about these Halloween babies!

Also, I accidentally dropped an egg last week while turning them and cracked it pretty good. :eek: In a blind panic and because I don't own nailpolish I slapped a piece of ducktape cut to size on the egg. It cover about 1/4 of the egg. Now I'm feeling foolish cause I have no idea how that chick is going to hatch! Should I just wait till day 19 and then peel it off as carefully as I can?!? Ugh. Why didn't I think that through better?!:th
:hugs ummmmm not sure about the tape......

I think if you go slowly and put water on the edges of the tape to loosen the adhesive as you go, maybe use a feeding syringe or your fingers to drip water and break the seal it has on the egg, you should be able to remove it safely. Fingers crossed for you down here in AZ :fl
NO WATER!!! it will chill it!! maybe a little coconut oil?

Thanks I will try, wishing it was any other tape but ducktape right now! haha, but hey duck tape fixes everything!
[/QUOTE] LOL see baove response , no water!!

whats this? and:

your chickie is like my piggies..
img_20161128_131947-jpg.1169935

cute piggies!!

:hugs ummmmm not sure about the tape......

NO WATER!!! it will chill it!! maybe a little coconut oil?

YOUR piggies?????? :wee

In other news, I have one external pip in one Brinsea, and hear another gotta-be-female call duckling peeping very loudly in the styro hatcher. I can candle thru the windows and see several internal pips.

Liz-duckling is still in the other Brinsea at low humidity until this evening or tomorrow, but she is still fighting!

Last edited:
YOUR piggies?????? :wee

In other news, I have one external pip in one Brinsea, and hear another gotta-be-female call duckling peeping very loudly in the styro hatcher. I can candle thru the windows and see several internal pips.

Liz-duckling is still in the other Brinsea at low humidity until this evening or tomorrow, but she is still fighting!
YAY! GO, Liz-Duck!!! GOGOGOGO!!!!

LOL see baove response , no water!!

no water. Gotcha.[/QUOTE]

Lmao okay. I've used it in the past for getting things off of eggs near hatch, and since eggs when near hatch produce a lot of their own heat, a little water shouldn't be a problem for most chicks... Obviously it shouldn't be ice water, but I figure that is relatively self explanatory. I usually heat water before even adding it to an incubator.

So my update, is that I candled my eggs under my broody and they all appear to be growing beautifully. The dozen that went in the incubator however, is a totally different story. Only two appeared to be fertile and one of them died early as there was a blood ring. So that left one good developing egg...I decided no use in running the bator for just one egg, so I put the good one under the broody too. I sure hope she continues to do such a good job as I spent a small fortune on those fertile silkie eggs!!!

So my update, is that I candled my eggs under my broody and they all appear to be growing beautifully. The dozen that went in the incubator however, is a totally different story. Only two appeared to be fertile and one of them died early as there was a blood ring. So that left one good developing egg...I decided no use in running the bator for just one egg, so I put the good one under the broody too. I sure hope she continues to do such a good job as I spent a small fortune on those fertile silkie eggs!!!
:fl Best of luck!! Nothing like Mother Nature!

Back
Top Bottom