Handling Hens

FLXCHIX

Songster
Jul 18, 2020
Naples, New York
My hens are about 17 weeks old. my issue is this, I never trained them to be handled. They come to me whenever they see me, as they know I will have some tasty treats. I know I have to check them regularly for health issues, but not sure how to get them used to being handled. Did I ‘miss my window’ by not doing when younger? Do I just handle them at night only? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Although nearly all of my 19 hens came to live with me when they were days old and raised in a brooder in my house where I handled them regularly, few are easily picked up today. Like yours, mine will come for treats, but one, two, four years later, it's a crap shoot whether any will allow me to pick them up. I envy people whose birds are happy to be handled.

Although nearly all of my 19 hens came to live with me when they were days old and raised in a brooder in my house where I handled them regularly, few are easily picked up today. Like yours, mine will come for treats, but one, two, four years later, it's a crap shoot whether any will allow me to pick them up. I envy people whose birds are happy to be handled.
I'd also like to know how to make mine happier to be picked up. Mine are buff orpingtons and we hatched them from our incubator and have handled them since day one. But now that they are outside and 9 weeks old, they aren't as crazy about it and put up a fuss. Our roosters don't even like to be petted. I'm not sure how we'd ever check one over for any health issues.

I'd also like to know how to make mine happier to be picked up. Mine are buff orpingtons and we hatched them from our incubator and have handled them since day one. But now that they are outside and 9 weeks old, they aren't as crazy about it and put up a fuss. Our roosters don't even like to be petted. I'm not sure how we'd ever check one over for any health issues.
From what I understand you are supposed to check regularly for mites and lice, which I have yet to do! ill have to do my exams at night I guess.

Really if your birds are active, with good bright eyes, curious about the world, eating and laying well, that is a big part of overall health. Now about this time of year, they can get looking a bit rough as they go into molt, but mine always still eat well and move easily.

If you see worms, or bugs, well then you need to do something. However, I seldom handle mine. I just like to watch chickens. If you do need to catch one, there are a couple of ways to do it. A chicken hook is what I use, and really it will catch them so fast, and you have them in your arms, the rest of the flock does not hardly notice.

I have also heard of taking a piece of chicken wire, and making a tube out of it. Drop it straight down over the top of the chicken, and they are contained, again with little fuss.

I have used a fish net, works well for separating fighting roosters, but to be honest, it really upsets the rest of the flock.

And of course, looking at night is the easiest.

Mrs K

Really if your birds are active, with good bright eyes, curious about the world, eating and laying well, that is a big part of overall health. Now about this time of year, they can get looking a bit rough as they go into molt, but mine always still eat well and move easily.

If you see worms, or bugs, well then you need to do something. However, I seldom handle mine. I just like to watch chickens. If you do need to catch one, there are a couple of ways to do it. A chicken hook is what I use, and really it will catch them so fast, and you have them in your arms, the rest of the flock does not hardly notice.

I have also heard of taking a piece of chicken wire, and making a tube out of it. Drop it straight down over the top of the chicken, and they are contained, again with little fuss.

I have used a fish net, works well for separating fighting roosters, but to be honest, it really upsets the rest of the flock.

And of course, looking at night is the easiest.

Mrs K
Thank you for your reply. I’m a novice here for sure. Less than six months with chickens. I was away for a few days and came back and could swear that some of the hens combs were paler. So now I’m worried about mites. I dont see any visible signs of bugs, but than again, can’t really get up close and personal to see what is going on. I think i have to recruit the husband and head out at night and check a few of my hens.

Honestly I just reach down and pick them up. They don't need to like it, just tolerating it is fine. Since yours will come to you I can't imagine it's too hard to try touching them to build up some tolerance to your hands.

Doing nighttime checks is a perfectly valid option as well, however I don't want to be out at night messing with birds.

ill have to do my exams at night I guess.
That's what I do.....I don't chase chickens.
Plus I can actually see any bugs better with a headlight at night.
Plusplus nighttime is when to look for roost mites.

My Bug Check notes:
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Back
Top Bottom