Hatch-Along - Setting eggs this weekend (Jan5/6) WHOS WITH ME!

Hi, I'm new to this thread but I'd like to join you on this week end egg set. I've hatched many eggs but one's that I've bought from other people, locally. These are my own, FBCM, EE's and a couple Delaware. These will be mixed because I have 16 hens and 2 roo's. all my eggs have been fertile when I break them open. Then in April-may time I will separate them so I have full blooded Marans or full EE's. just sort of a test this time. I've done a lot of things wrong saving the eggs but we'll see. I'll never learn if i don't try. The incubator has been steady at 99 - 101 for over 24 hours. I'm very excited. (Oh, I have a Frizzle that has been bred to the EE or the Marans but she keeps hiding her eggs. I'm going to try anyway). Can I join? I'll wait until tomorrow to set them. Sue
Where did you find the White Marans?
What a fun test group! So most of your chicks will FBCM, EE, or olive eggers? What breed are your roos?

I got the White Maran eggs from a nearby farmer. It was quite an investigation, finding someone with nice Marans within driving distance. This guy has no internet presence. I found him randomly through the chicken grapevine. This guy raises 8 breeds of Marans, and they are all beautiful! Fully feathered legs, and most of them lay pretty dark eggs. They look lighter in the picture. The White Maran eggs are the lightest eggs you see. I chose them purely because they were such pretty birds. It was super hard to choose which of the 8 colors I wanted.

My incubator is crazy full! So now I have a few things to figure out. Do I get out my old Hovabator to use as a hatcher? I'm nervous about that. I haven't had a ton of luck with it. Maybe I could split the eggs into 2 hatching groups. I guess I'll just wait and see how they look on candling day.

I might join you, I got some eggs from a friend last weekend and decided to hatch them. They have been in the fridge, so I may not have any luck. The parents look like silver laced Wyandottes but the mom lays green eggs, so I want to try! If we go out there again tomorrow I will pick up some more and set in the evening.

I might join you, I got some eggs from a friend last weekend and decided to hatch them. They have been in the fridge, so I may not have any luck. The parents look like silver laced Wyandottes but the mom lays green eggs, so I want to try! If we go out there again tomorrow I will pick up some more and set in the evening.

I'll be setting some Silkie eggs that arrived today. I typically wait a day for them to warm up first. Ive used the breeder before, shes from WA and I actually find that I have better hatch rates the further away they travel as they travel by air most of the way vs trucks.

I'll be setting about 36 or so eggs from an Amish farm up the road from me on Monday. I stopped today but she didn't have any that she hadn't already washed & refrigerated so she's collecting for me over the weekend. It will be an assortment of Rainbow eggs with EE, OE, Cuckoo Marans & hybrid layers in the mix. They lay the Rainbow
big_smile.png

Im so excited lots of eggs are gonna be set this weekend
big_smile.png
Welcome to all those that are joining

Im going to candle mine tonight to check the air cells and hopefully all look good.

Puglady what color silkies are you hatching?

Back
Top Bottom