Hatching chick, piped in a diff. spot than the others, leaked a clear yellow fluid, a little blood,A

Like this, no more veins:

ready-to-go-jpg.1146579

@WVduckchick , I've done pretty good keeping the membrane moist, so I will moisten it again and if it's still moving it's beak and chirping leave it till morning to give it time to absorb the yolk and veins to recead. I am very fearful of it not being ready and doing more harm than good, and would rather give it extra time than too little, I would almost rather risk it dieing the way it is than causing a traumatic death. If it is getting weak I guess I will zip for it and make sure there are no veins and leave it in the bottom half of the shell. Ugh, y'all have alot of experience in hatching, wish y'all were here to help.

It’s good to have a position on it! Trust your instinct. Waiting is tough for some folks, but I think you’re in a good position to wait.

Well I just checked it, I can see the beak , and when I picked it up, it was chriping pretty good and trying to peck at the membrane so I will mositen and leave till morning.. I think as of right now that is best. After watching it for a min I am 99.9% positive it is malpositioned.

It’s good to have a position on it! Trust your instinct. Waiting is tough for some folks, but I think you’re in a good position to wait.
It is hard to wait but I have NO IDEA what I'm doing when It comes to assisted hatch, only what ive read. Im not confident in doing so and would rather give extra time than not enough. If I had done this before it may be a different story but I am trying to avoid a traumatic death for the chick and bad experience for me. It seems stong enough as of now..

It is hard to wait but I have NO IDEA what I'm doing when It comes to assisted hatch, only what ive read. Im not confident in doing so and would rather give extra time than not enough. If I had done this before it may be a different story but I am trying to avoid a traumatic death for the chick and bad experience for me. It seems stong enough as of now..

This article I wrote should help walk you through an assisted hatch, if it does come to that:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

@WVduckchick , I waited too long. I checked on it about 3am and it was still peeping and moving so i left it but at 6 30 am it was dead. Lesson learned, don't wait to long.
Honestly, each and every time is a new and different experience for me... I have done both... or rather all 3... waited to long and chick expired, helped and had the chick expire, and help and have a chick do fine. I have even helped and had to dispatch. :hmm

You did great! Sorry this one didn't make it... but congrats on your others! :wee Pics welcome. ;)

Thank you to the other hatching folk... it's always encouraging to see the rally of peeps willing to share their time and experience to support our fellow BYCer's through these challenges! :highfive:

@EggSighted4Life I agree and am super thankful for any and all help offered, and am glad I got 8 out of 12 eggs to hatch, I think it's about time to count the others out. They could have been not viable from the start because I had trouble candeling the dark eggs and quickly gave up trying to but did have a couple hatch over night. I had not hatched before and had no idea what to expect. Although I did keep the incubator temp and humidity pretty close to optimium except for 2 or 3 nights. Double checked with a hygrometer. I understand there will sometimes be losses- nature's way. But the chicks that did hatch all seem to be healthy and moving around.
Thanks for everyone's help, I would of been lost without your guidance, more so than I was already.:hmm Now for the very few viable BLRW eggs out of what i bought that should hatch next weekend. Please please be a pullet and cockeral, both blue. Lol

@WVduckchick , I waited too long. I checked on it about 3am and it was still peeping and moving so i left it but at 6 30 am it was dead. Lesson learned, don't wait to long.

I'm so sorry. :hugs But so glad that the others are doing well!

When this happens (and it does on occasion) I try to think that it was what was best.... what was meant to be. And as EggSighted said, I've also had all 3 happen. It comes with incubating, and assisting is such a fine line. Even with tons of hatching experience, there will still be some that just don't make it.

On a better note, just for reference, a story about my cream legbars. They were terribly handled shipped eggs, and only 2 made it lockdown. The first one hatched with no problem. I had to leave my house for a few hours while the last one was pipped. I came home to find it had zipped all the way around, but the membrane wasn't completely broken and the chick was still in the egg. It looked so dry and was all brown. I was very close to tears. I said a few choice words, and madly opened the incubator. When I grabbed that egg, it was quiet. With tears welling up, I peeled the air cell end off, and the silly thing peeped at me! I was amazed that it was still alive. She's a happy pullet today! I would definitely have helped much sooner, and possibly done damage, so I like to think it happened the way it should have.

Back
Top Bottom