Hatching chicks in class

taylong

Hatching
Dec 1, 2022
I had 12 eggs that I am incubating in my class and only 2 are making noises and moving .Today is day 21 - One is progressing way faster than the other because it has already made a small hole. Will a chick survive by itself?- Im worried with kids being so attached.

The second one will likely make it, even if it takes a little longer to hatch. Hatching is hard work. The other eggs may still come through too, it's very common for a hatch to be spread over a day. No need to worry yet, I'd just wait and see, and check in again tomorrow!

The second one will likely make it, even if it takes a little longer to hatch. Hatching is hard work. The other eggs may still come through too, it's very common for a hatch to be spread over a day. No need to worry yet, I'd just wait and see, and check in again tomorrow!
Thank you! This is my first time and I am panicking!

Also, Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies!

So the second egg has hatched a little more today, but he seems to be stuck in the membrane. I took off a little bit of just the shell. How can I help him??

I find that the first eggs to start hatching take the longest to finish, at least it feels that way. How big is the hole? Sometimes they start it, then wait, then enlarge it, then wait again before they finish the job. If it looks like the hole is starting to go around the egg in a line, you can help finish the job safely without danger. If it's just getting a little bigger, the chick might not be ready.

Here's a good article about assisted hatching: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
The short answer is, I would give it more time but if you can, post a picture!

Back
Top Bottom