Hawk Attack - Possible Infection

jennybvcr

Songster
Apr 4, 2018
Connecticut
Hi, everyone! On Thursday I think we had a hawk attack. One duck left with a bloody puncture wound on her cheek, another with a limp (from splitting on the ice I think.) The limpy duck seems to be better so glad there! Unfortunately today I noticed the punctured duck's cheek is a bit swollen looking. I used hibiclense on it on Thursday and yesterday. She is still drinking and eating and seems normal.

Any recommendations on helping her heal from this? I worry if she has an infection she may start to decline. Are there duck antibiotics? Unfortunately at home remedies are my only option right now.

I can post photos later when I can get my husband to help.

Yes. Please check back tomorrow morning. It was too dark by the time I got help today but we’ll take a few in the a.m.

I'll be sure to check-in for the pictures tomorrow morning.

My initial concerns with cheek swelling would be tear duct dysfunction due to trauma, or possible infection of the cheek area this there was a recent hawk attack. It is plausible, the area may need to be poked, to squeeze any infected fluids (pus) of the area to ensure healing. Since topical use of an ointment may not get into the tissue we need it to, antibiotics may be indicated. If you live in the U.S, you can obtain antibiotics prescription free online in fish or bird form.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
https://www.chewy.com/fish-aid-antibiotics-cephalexin/dp/185208

Happily, she is looking much better today and is still acting normally - eating, drinking, bathing, preening, happy chirps over a mealworm treat, and doing anything she can to get away from me! All very normal behavior for my standoffish little girls.

The swelling, I believe, has gone down since yesterday when it first presented. Note, they were attacked on Thursday, had Hibiclens on Thursday and Friday, the swelling was noticeable Saturday and seems to have begun to subside as of Sunday (today.) Her eyes are clear and alert. The wound is almost unnoticeable, the area is not hot, and there is no discharge or smell. You can see the swelling in the left cheek in first photo. I couldn't really get much of a photo of the injury because it seems to be more or less healed over but it was below her eye - kind of where the feathers are a bit lifted in the second photo. It was about the size of a pencil eraser and did not look very deep (although I know that can be deceiving.)

I will likely pick up some of that bird antibiotic one way or another because we lost a Welsh Harlequin to what I believe might have been a weird case of bumblefoot a few months ago (she never showed any signs of pain or injury and then just rapidly declined and died.) Do you think I need to administer any to this duck, or just sit tight and monitor her over the next few days?
IMG_1753 2.jpeg IMG_1750.jpeg IMG_1751.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom