Head injury

Donna et

Chirping
Jul 14, 2021
Hi, my silkie Cockerell hit his head today he had just entered the underneath of his coop when he shot up and hit his head he looked like he was having a seizure afterwards and passed out his breathing was very laboured he couldn't hold his neck up any how I wrapped him in towels cuddled him and he seemed to be slipping in and out of consciousness then a couple of hours later he tried to get up so I stood him in his outdoor enclosure and he appeared to have a weakness down the right-side of his body he was leaning to one side and started running into things so i scooped him up made him warm and he's now indoors wrapped up in towels in a box. I don't know what to do next if he makes it through the night and he's the same in the morning, does anyone have any ideas, would really appreciate some advice. Thank you

Hi, my silkie Cockerell hit his head today he had just entered the underneath of his coop when he shot up and hit his head he looked like he was having a seizure afterwards and passed out his breathing was very laboured he couldn't hold his neck up any how I wrapped him in towels cuddled him and he seemed to be slipping in and out of consciousness then a couple of hours later he tried to get up so I stood him in his outdoor enclosure and he appeared to have a weakness down the right-side of his body he was leaning to one side and started running into things so i scooped him up made him warm and he's now indoors wrapped up in towels in a box. I don't know what to do next if he makes it through the night and he's the same in the morning, does anyone have any ideas, would really appreciate some advice. Thank you
@LadiesAndJane any ideas? Silkies have a vaulted skull, so a hard thump can kill them.

So sorry☹️
Unfortunately there’s not much you can do except supportive care. I had a similar situation with my silkie/polish cross that also has a vaulted skull. She was hit hard in the head by one of my “mean girls“ when I was trying to integrate them and she ended up on her back flailing around in circles. We were pretty convinced she had a broken neck but with supportive care she recovered enough after two days to put her back with the nicer birds I have. She is not 100% normal though, I consider her the equivalent of having a traumatic brain injury. She is able to eat and drink and functions just fine, she’s just a little slow.
Keep your guy warm and comfortable and encourage eating soft foods such as scrambled eggs or runny crumble mash or oatmeal. You could also offer a little yogurt. Encourage eating and drinking as much as you can. He may not eat for a few days. I hope the best for him and hope he recovers.❤️:hugs
Thank you so much, I just worry about the pain he could be in I don't mind if he's slow I just want him to recover enough to be able to have some sort of normal life, he hasn't eaten but I have been wiping his beak with water. Bless him. 🥲

Thank you so much, I just worry about the pain he could be in I don't mind if he's slow I just want him to recover enough to be able to have some sort of normal life, he hasn't eaten but I have been wiping his beak with water. Bless him. 🥲
Please keep us updated. I know it is hard when they are unwell. ❤️

This is my boy this morning is it cruel to keep him like this although he hasn't eaten yet he had a small drink as I held a bowl of water under his beak. I was trying to put a video on but the attachment just won't upload for some reason.
It needs to be uploaded on youtube and linked here. Make sure its a public video.

Back
Top Bottom