hello to all.please answer this question

hamzaahvalli

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Hi,I used to let my chickens free range but now kept them in a coop since 1 year.but after stopping free range,they no longer get broody and eat their eggs.I filled an egg with hot chilly sauce that's I myself can't bear but their still ate it.I removed the egg laying hen from the coop hoping it will become broody due to privacy and availability of space.how can I prevent the egg eating and get them broody

Activity like egg eating and feather picking can be indicators of overcrowding.
Could that be an issue with your birds?

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! As liz9910 stated...getting them to go broody is kind of a no go. Here is an article about dealing with egg eaters, though. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/six-tips-on-breaking-your-egg-eater

Thank you very much.I don't think overcrowding is a suspect,we only have 6 chickens but thanks for the thought

Maybe they are just bored after the wild life of free ranging. Do you have an area in their run where they can dust bathe? You could hang up a head of cabbage so they can peck at it and amuse themselves. If the run is large enough give them a few different items they can explore - like a little chair or stool they could perch on, or a large branch they could use as a daytime roost. For a special treat you could get some crickets at a pet shop and turn them loose in front of the chickens - they would get the chickens to exercise and to use hunting skills .

If you're thinking of debeaking, IMO you have a serious management issue. You say you only have 6 birds, how much space do you have? Debeaking may stop them from eating so many eggs, but probably won't stop them from breaking them, and definitely won't make them go broody.

Back
Top Bottom