Hello

vmontoya

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 19, 2013
My baby chick has been falling over a lot today, it's 5 days old. It had poopy stuck on its bottom, i cleaned it off and I found a hard shaped thing where its umbilicord was, but every time I try cleaning it, it goes crazy. It distance itself from the others. I'm worried sick what's wrong with it
1f615.png
can anyone please help?

I don't have a ton of experience with chicks, but this sounds like pasty butt with a possible infected umbilical stump. If that poo is returning and is plugging his/her little bum, you need to get ontop of cleaning it off in warm water and keeping the area clear. Is it's abdomen swollen? Does it stand normally befor it falls over or are it's legs splayed out? If it's navel is infected I would think antibiotics are in order, but you'll have to talk to some one else to know what to give and how much. Never had to deal with it before. Maybe some polysporin on it for now?

Yeah the legs are splayed out, I can't really tell if the abdomen is swollen though. @jjackson-7

I tried giving it food and water, but it won't take it. It'll just lay on its tummy. @jjackson-7

Welcome to BYC. The umbilical stump will dry up and fall off on it's own without any problem unless it is wet and mushy. Has this chick stood up or eaten/drunk in 5 days? Splay leg is fairly easy to help if you put a bandaid hobble on the legs to hold them close together. Have you held it up to water to get it to drink water. If it hasn't eaten or drunk by now, it won't last much longer, so it really needs some nutrition now. Click on this link for instructions on treating splay leg, and try getting your chick to drink some sugar water or electrolytes. Dip it's beak. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Back
Top Bottom