HELP!! 12 week old chick attacked by dogs

brunettedixie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 14, 2014
West Virginia
My little 12 week old barred rock was attacked by a bunch of little, chicken killing neighbor dogs today. She's got a bad open wound underneath her wing that I put neosporin on an hour or so ago.
She seems so out of it. She won't sit or lie down. All she does is stand still (in the box I made up for her) with her beak open. I have been feeding her electrolyte water and aspirin water with a dropper, but that's the only thing she's interested in. She doesn't even want to eat her favorite foods! I tried eggs and lettuce, to no avail.
Any helpful tips on how to help her heal up would be wonderful!!

So sorry. She sounds like she is in shock. A quiet dark place will help. Don't worry about making her eat right now. The main thing is to get her better from being "shocky". They electrolyte water was good too, I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I also add a little sugar to mine. Just give her some time that is dark, safe, and quiet so she can try to recover. Hopefully someone with better tips will reply soon.

I would place her in the house to avoid adding damage from flystrike to her wound. Clean the area thoroughly with diluted betadine and then rinse with plain water. Don't use hydrogen peroxide-it can damage tissue. Check her carefully for any other wounds and clean them too. Then apply the neosporin again (makes sure it's not the "plus" type with pain killer in it, as it's toxic to chickens from what I've read). Keep her in a crate, dog kennel, something similar with water (pedialyte is good), crumbles and watermelon (a great enticer for my hens for water & sugar) and let her rest. Don't be surprised if she won't eat the first day. Give her some droppers of electrolyte water. Take a syringe with no needle, put a little bit of water in it. Pull gently on her wattles to open her mouth and put just a couple drops at a time in and wait for her to swallow. She should start perking up a little tomorrow. Keep cleaning her wound(s) daily and putting more antibiotic ointment on them for a few days. You'll be surprised at how fast they heal. When she's doing good, spray some blue kote on her wound to keep the others from seeing a "different" spot on her and pecking at her wound. You may have to place her in a cage next to the others for a few days to reintroduce her to them.

When I was cleaning and administrating neosporin to her wounds, she ate a bit of chopped up boiled egg, but nothing after that. I guess I'll stop trying to get her to eat like ya'll said and let her get some rest. She really didnt like sitting in her box and hopped up on my bed. She seems to like it up there better
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom