oliviasmith

Hatching
Jun 7, 2023
Hi, it is my first time hatching duck eggs however i have hatched chickens but 2 that was around 2 years ago. So, i’ve had the duck eggs in the incubator for 18 days and the ducks are wild as the mother abandoned her eggs(i know this because i saw her with them but kept checking back however she never came back). Anyway i put them in the incubator and we’re now on day 18 and 1/6 of them as far as i’ve seen is wobbling in the incubator. I don’t know when i’m supposed to increase humidity and start lockdown etc. I could really do with some advice as i don’t know when to stop turning them and everything. Thanks

Hi, it is my first time hatching duck eggs however i have hatched chickens but 2 that was around 2 years ago. So, i’ve had the duck eggs in the incubator for 18 days and the ducks are wild as the mother abandoned her eggs(i know this because i saw her with them but kept checking back however she never came back). Anyway i put them in the incubator and we’re now on day 18 and 1/6 of them as far as i’ve seen is wobbling in the incubator. I don’t know when i’m supposed to increase humidity and start lockdown etc. I could really do with some advice as i don’t know when to stop turning them and everything. Thanks
Can you take a video of candling
This will help to know what’s going on
Day 18 is to early to hatch
Add to YouTube then share the link here

A few candling pics would also help, if you can’t do a video.

In the absence of being able to see them, if you can monitor them often, you can wait until the first internal pip to raise the humidity. The egg should be all full and dark (except the air cell), maybe a little fluid and veins showing just beneath the air cell layer, and the duckling will start to “draw down” into the air cell end of the egg. That’s when you know the are getting close.

If these were wild ducks, what do you plan to do with them? Some wild ducks are against the law to own, so I would advise you to check your local laws/ordinances.

3 days before hatch:
FC528018-045B-4075-97AA-8ECB4AEAF625.jpeg

1 day before hatch:
8983B34C-0D34-4717-B9E7-A4FA92D8C5E9.jpeg

Thank you, this is what they look like on day 19
D35033AD-6241-4E6A-A258-7F9DF3528E8E.jpeg

there are no visible vains anymore. And the male which i’m presuming is the father is a mallard and the other is just brown so unsure of breed.

Thank you, this is what they look like on day 19View attachment 3533515
there are no visible vains anymore. And the male which i’m presuming is the father is a mallard and the other is just brown so unsure of breed.
when you candle do you see shadow movements along the air cell ?
My day 20 babies still have room that I can see on past the air cell

If the mom was sitting on them and then you put them in the incubator for 20 days it is very likely they are close to hatch. Mallard eggs take 28 days that would have started with the mother's sitting. If they are true wild the mother would be brown. If you mean brown, but not like a while mallard then the mom is most likely a mallard derived domestic breed.
As far as when to place in lockdown, candle once a day. When you see an internal pip lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom