Help! Are my chicks gunna die?

Ms. Cluckingly

Songster
10 Years
Aug 13, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
We came home today to a really yucky rain storm and for some reason, the heat lamp in my coop isn't turning on.. it was ran to the coop from the outlet on my deck with a blue extension cord. AND my lamp I'm using for my little ones, they are only a few days old isn't working either!! I've checked my breakers.. I dont know WHAT is going on! Are my little ones gunna die? How can I keep them warm? I only have two.
sad.png

sad.png
yikes!! I sure hope you get it figured out soon...meantime I would try some instant warmers....hand warmers or a baked potato wrapped in a blanket...

keep us posted...

hugs.gif

Can you bring them inside since there is only two?
You can maybe use a heating pad temporarily. Just be sure they can get away from the heat.

To see if it is the outlet pr the cord you can try plugging in something else to see if you are getting juice to it.

Unfortunatly, I do not have a heating pad OR any hand warmers or a potatoe. I keep trying the plugs, and they work fine for everything else. I think my older girls in the coop will be ok, but it's the two chickies I'm worried about.
sad.png

Check your receptacles also for test/reset buttons. If the cord got wet on the inside it probably tripped the GFI(ground fault interruption). It may or may not be the one you are plugged into though. Check all of them outside... if/when you find it, push in the reset button. Possibility that it could be in the kitchen, bath, or laundry room(depending on how your house is wired).

EDIT: We must have been typing at the same time, I see you have power at the cord...

Last edited:
Ms. Cluckingly :

Unfortunatly, I do not have a heating pad OR any hand warmers or a potatoe. I keep trying the plugs, and they work fine for everything else. I think my older girls in the coop will be ok, but it's the two chickies I'm worried about.
sad.png

If the plug is working for others things it has to be the bulb, the cord or the lamp socket. Did you try changing the bulb? See if the lamp works when plugged in to the house. I know when your upset some things might slip past you.​

Warn them up with a hair blow dryer (be very careful not to over heat) and bring them inside. Since you only have two put them in a box with some towels or shavings.

Ok, so I moved the chicks inside into my son's room with the same regular lamp we were using. It works in his room, but not in my bathroom, where I originally had them. I've tripped the breakers off and back on, and the sockets in my room still aren't working, and neither is the one outside. I do think water got into the plug. Now, I have NO idea how I am going to warm the coop. Ugh... Thanks for your help, yall.
smile.png

If it's desperate (and you have a fireplace) build a fire and put the brooder next to it until you can figure out the problem.

So the receptacle isn't working? See post #5... There is a reset at one of your receptacles. Unplug the cord going to the brooder light at the house and reset it if you can find it. Then either use another cord or that one again if you don't have one.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom