Help Chicks Hatching.....what Do I Do????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BANTAMWYANDOTTE, Apr 26, 2011.

1. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    So New To This Incubator Thing It Isn"t Funny! What Do I Do???????????? Started Hatching An Hour Ago....now What?

2. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Just hang tight and enjoy the show! [​IMG]

Seriously, let nature take it's course. If you have any specific problems or concerns along the way, there are plenty of folks here to help.

3. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    It can take 24 hours or longer for them to hatch. Don't help it out! I have not had good success rates with the ones I have helped (after 30+ hours of them hatching with no progress). I think I have helped 5 chicks hatch and 3 died within a few days. It's better just to wait and let nature take it course.

4. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Should I Go To Bed Or Stay With Them Until Morning And Let Someone Else Sit With Them? Can I Open The Lid Too Much And Hurt The Procsess? Omg I Am So Excited! Last Time Nothing Hatched This Time Out Of 28 Eggs I Counted 15 Hatching Or Pecking Through! I Have Hatchery Babies But This Is Amazing! Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Keep the lid closed until hatching is completed, it will affect humidity and possibly shrink wrap chicks. They can survive in the bator a couple of days without having food or water.

6. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    One Chick Is Dragging It's Umbilicle Cord Or Some Kind Of After Birth????? What Do I Do?????????

7. SabaiFarms

SabaiFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2011
    Calhan, Colorado
    Mine did that too. It's normal. It will fall off. Unless it's bleeding I think it'll be okay.

8. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Thank You All So Much...there Are Ten Here So Far And More On The Way! I Appreciate The Advice And It Was Helpful.....i Have One That Is Club Footed But Other Than That There Have Been No Problems....the Club Fotted One Is A Oeg Bantam And Her Mom Was In Bad Health......agian Thanks!

Bantamwyandotte........[​IMG]

9. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Congrats! It is soo exciting! Just continue to sit back and watch. I've had some with curly toes that were perfect the next day....cords stuck to shells, you name it. But, let them do what they do and don't get impatient. They will be fine and if you open the incubator and some don't hatch, you might always wonder if that caused a problem.

Sounds like an exciting evening ahead. I don't think there's anything better than 'Chick TV'!!! [​IMG]

10. Jake1297

Jake1297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Western Maine
    If they don't all hatch in a day or so let the unhatched sit for a few more days. I had one that hatched yesterday, and one that hatched today, five & six days after lock down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by