HELP do I help or no?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kesrchicky16, Jan 12, 2018.

1. kesrchicky16

kesrchicky16 Songster

Dec 13, 2016
    Egg is pipped on end away from the air cell. It is almost symmetrical so I'm not worried about it getting out. It has made a hole big enough I can see it moving inside. My question is the membrane is intact. I can see there is no blood vessels where it pipped. It is keeping and moving. Would it be better if I pierced the membrane it just leave it alone?

2 chicks have successfully hatched and are in the brooder.

2. Fields Mountain Farm

Fields Mountain Farm Addict

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    kesrchicky16 likes this.
  3. kesrchicky16

kesrchicky16 Songster

Dec 13, 2016
  4. CapricornFarm

CapricornFarm Tolbunt Queen

May 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    I would not mess with it for at least 24 hours. Every time you open the bator, you lose humidity and then shrink wrapping can result. Good luck.

5. Fields Mountain Farm

Fields Mountain Farm Addict

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    What color is the membrane?
    What is the humidity and temp?

CapricornFarm likes this.
  6. Q-tip the indoor chicken

Q-tip the indoor chicken Chirping

Oct 30, 2017
    I have a chick that started hatching while I was at school. My mom noticed it was very bloody so she opened the egg (she then realized this was a big mistake). When I got home 4 hours later, I saw the note she left me. The poor chick could barely lift her head and was about to die. I took her to the brooder and placed her under the heat lamp for 10 minutes or so, checking a lot to make sure she was ok. I then placed her in a bandana around my neck, making sure her body was touching my skin. I kept her there for about 2 hours, then placed her back in the brooder. She started eating and (kind of) walking within 10 minutes. She is the sweetest, and my favorite, chick.

You probably shouldn't open the egg, but this is in case of the worst. I'm no expert, but maybe try this if you have to open the egg.

Good luck!

Fields Mountain Farm likes this.
  7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    No breach in the membrane at all? And it's made no change since noon? If that is the case, then, I'd make a very tiny tear in the membrane. If no blood, peel just a bit of the membrane back, or clip it so there is not a flap that closes over the pip, and leave it till morning. Is your humidity up? Often the last one or two to hatch have difficulty. If she's not out by morning, you could then assess, and if your assessment tells you to do so, complete the assist. Have you read @Sally Sunshine 's assisted hatch article? Do so before you assist.

8. kesrchicky16

kesrchicky16 Songster

Dec 13, 2016
    Clear ish white. 68% 99.5

This is only the 3rd pip of 31 eggs. I will get a tool clean to open the membrane when I have to pull the next chick. I have 1 other active external pip. Lots of eggs wiggling and lots of little peeps sounding.

9. kesrchicky16

kesrchicky16 Songster

Dec 13, 2016
    I can see it's beak pushing on the membrane but it just can't push through. I know there is that small red (used to be blood vein) in the middle.
    20180112_194352.jpg

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    That membrane is NOT READY. DON't touch it. I'm YELLING AT THE TOP OF MY VOICE RIGHT NOW. dON'T TOUCH IT. DON'T TOUCH IT, DON'T TOUCH IT.

QuailExpert and CapricornFarm like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: