HELP do I help or no?

kesrchicky16

Songster
Dec 13, 2016
Egg is pipped on end away from the air cell. It is almost symmetrical so I'm not worried about it getting out. It has made a hole big enough I can see it moving inside. My question is the membrane is intact. I can see there is no blood vessels where it pipped. It is keeping and moving. Would it be better if I pierced the membrane it just leave it alone?

2 chicks have successfully hatched and are in the brooder.

I have a chick that started hatching while I was at school. My mom noticed it was very bloody so she opened the egg (she then realized this was a big mistake). When I got home 4 hours later, I saw the note she left me. The poor chick could barely lift her head and was about to die. I took her to the brooder and placed her under the heat lamp for 10 minutes or so, checking a lot to make sure she was ok. I then placed her in a bandana around my neck, making sure her body was touching my skin. I kept her there for about 2 hours, then placed her back in the brooder. She started eating and (kind of) walking within 10 minutes. She is the sweetest, and my favorite, chick.

You probably shouldn't open the egg, but this is in case of the worst. I'm no expert, but maybe try this if you have to open the egg.

Good luck!

No breach in the membrane at all? And it's made no change since noon? If that is the case, then, I'd make a very tiny tear in the membrane. If no blood, peel just a bit of the membrane back, or clip it so there is not a flap that closes over the pip, and leave it till morning. Is your humidity up? Often the last one or two to hatch have difficulty. If she's not out by morning, you could then assess, and if your assessment tells you to do so, complete the assist. Have you read @Sally Sunshine 's assisted hatch article? Do so before you assist.

I can see it's beak pushing on the membrane but it just can't push through. I know there is that small red (used to be blood vein) in the middle.
20180112_194352.jpg

Back
Top Bottom