HELP ducks were attacked!!!!

Mbarrett

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
West Winfield NY
My ducks are free range with a Chinese goose. This morning in daylight (between 7am- 9am) they were attacked. One was injured with a tore up neck (Visible punctures too his neck). 2 Pekins were missing. I found 1 about 150 yards away in the woods with her head/neck ripped off and the other one has not been found yet. What could’ve done this? PLZ HELP!

Attachments

• IMG_9944.jpeg
    IMG_9944.jpeg
    603.8 KB · Views: 40
My ducks are free range with a Chinese goose. This morning in daylight (between 7am- 9am) they were attacked. One was injured with a tore up neck (Visible punctures too his neck). 2 Pekins were missing. I found 1 about 150 yards away in the woods with her head/neck ripped off and the other one has not been found yet. What could’ve done this? PLZ HELP!
So sorry! It's hard to tell, and you have plenty of predators in NY. I'd say bobcat or fox from the head areas targeted. The predator only has to get it right one day, so sorry that yours was today. 😥

Is the one with the hurt neck still alive? If so, can we see photos?
It could've been a number of things, foxes, even weasels....
You can't really prevent it happening again unless you lock the birds up instead of free ranging. I feel like white birds such as pekins would be very easy target's if they aren't super aware of their surroundings.
I'm so sorry for your losses :hugs

Is the one with the hurt neck still alive? If so, can we see photos?
It could've been a number of things, foxes, even weasels....
You can't really prevent it happening again unless you lock the birds up instead of free ranging. I feel like white birds such as pekins would be very easy target's if they aren't super aware of their surroundings.
I'm so sorry for your losses :hugs
Yeah we’re amazed he got away. But yeah I have pictures of his neck I’ll attach. And I agree poor things can’t even get 3 inches off the ground but are so cute! These are just the more hurt part but you can see whatever had him had it’s mouth around his whole neck.

Attachments

• IMG_9938.jpeg
    IMG_9938.jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9937.jpeg
    IMG_9937.jpeg
    325.5 KB · Views: 21
Yeah we’re amazed he got away. But yeah I have pictures of his neck I’ll attach. And I agree poor things can’t even get 3 inches off the ground but are so cute! These are just the more hurt part but you can see whatever had him had it’s mouth around his whole neck.
Poor baby, have you started treatment?
If the bleeding has stopped, you'll need to clean and treat the wounds.
Do you have any triple antibiotic without pain relief?

You'll also need to also treat him for shock, sugar water, electrolytes if you can get him to take some, and put him in a warm dark room to recover.
Or you could get a vet if you have access to one
I hope he makes it

You'll also need to also treat him for shock, sugar water, electrolytes if you can get him to take some, and put him in a warm dark room to recover.
I hope he makes

I hope he makes it
Yes but any advice to get him healed up faster and the best way would be wonderful!! Why does the triple antibiotic and have to be without pain relief? I feel he could benefit from getting some pain relief! He seems to be okay this morning and ate and drank and had enough energy to hiss at me as he’s not the friendliest duck

Yes but any advice to get him healed up faster and the best way would be wonderful!! Why does the triple antibiotic and have to be without pain relief? I feel he could benefit from getting some pain relief! He seems to be okay this morning and ate and drank and had enough energy to hiss at me as he’s not the friendliest duck
I'm not sure specifically why not, but the pain relief version is unsuitable.
You are right though that some pain relief could benefit him, you could give him some aspirin if you have some
For a large duck, 75mg of aspirin up to 3 times daily. For medium sized/smaller ducks, 40mg
You can cut the dose up and hide it in a treat, like grapes or blueberries. If you'd like to try that, I would keep the doses minimal, just initially to give him a little more comfort to help with eating and drinking. Do the punctures seem very deep, or more just on the surface? Hard to tell in photos.

Though if you have access to a vet, they may be able to treat the wounds for you and give a better form of pain relief

Back
Top Bottom