Help! Goose was struggling to breath and acting anxious.

Kpowers5792

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2023
Hi! I have three geese that are about ten weeks old and I love them very much! I am still in the process of finishing their pin, so in the mean time we have them a pin set up in the basement, and we lay tarps down and take them out every morning and spray them while the geese enjoy the day with us outside. The night before last, we were working on digging the trench around the pin to bury the coated 2'x10' in to keep predators out, and we brought them in at sundown like always. I spent some time down there with them and fell asleep next to Emmitt, and later he tugged on my leg a couple times to wake me up and then kind of rubbed his bill on me as if to tell me something, and he was painting very fast and eratic, and looke scared and distressed. His breathing kind of sounded somewhat restricted, and his breath and Bill were warm. I was so worried. I felt so horrible because I wanted to help my baby boy so badly but didn't k ow what to do! He had plenty of water and the room was very cool. I even had a fan on to try to help. He was like that all night. But, what's weird is when he was up moving around he seemed okay, and he was still eating. I prayed amd asked my pastors to pray for us as well! Thankfully, our prayers were answer by our merciful and loving Almighty God!!! I took him out right after sunrise, let him swim for a few minutes and he seemed to be getting better after that. Last night he was much better! But, I would still like to know what was going on and like to know what to do if it happens again, any advice is appreciated! Something we were wondering is, when we were out there digging the trench, he was following us eating mud, grubworms and I'm guessing rocks and stuff, and we are wondering if he may have packed gis crop so full of mud maybe it was constricting his breathing. I'm not sure though. I hope somebody will be able to give us some advice. Thanks!

Sounds like he was overheating. Goslings go through a lot of metabolic adjustments and overheat more often. If he overheats like this again you can get him ice water, soak him in a tub, or get his feet and legs wet with cold water.

It’s also a good idea to have electrolytes on hand to help in situations like this. Pedialyte will also work.

It’s such a great comfort to have someone with experience reaching out, especially when we are new to our flocks. I just wanted to thank you for helping here, Goosebaby, Hoping for the baby’s recovery! You are a good Shepard, Kpowers, I am certain!

Back
Top Bottom