HELP HUGE EMERGENCY!!!!

I don't think this is a prolapse either. She has been injured some how by a predator or what. I have seen a lot of prolapses on BYC and never one with that much blood unless something has opened up and that is where the blood is coming from. I would look at your dogs face if the dog caused this I'd say there would be blood. Can you take some warm water and wash this area off so we can get a better look?

I'm going to disappoint with my recommendation, and I'm very sorry.

Your hen has a prolapse vent, either caused by straining to pass an egg or to poop. Sometimes the extruded organ can be tucked back inside, but your hen has been bleeding a lot, and it's probably from the other chickens nibbling on the prolapse.

It's not only been exposed to the environment, but it's been severely torn from the others attacking it. It's too damaged to restore. Your hen is probably already suffering from it being infected. I don't think a vet can do anything. So, I recommend putting her out of her suffering.
I would agree with this. Sometimes in trying to help, we are just prolonging the inevitable.

I will put her to rest if I need to I’d honestly like to try anything I can first. But you may be right and I will not let her suffer if that’s the case. Part of loving an animal is knowing when to say goodbye. I just hoped I would of had a lot more time with her. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening in the future?
I’m glad that you are willing to keep her best interest in mind. It looks to me like something got ahold of her.

I tried washing the area off but it she just pooped out blood and the area is now bloody agian. She’s drinking a whole lot and every time she pops out the water blood comes with it.
I can tell that she is ready to go. I just need to find out how to put her to sleep. I am not very strong so I need a way that doesn’t requires strength or the cone as I do not yet have one.

I'm sorry you are going through this. It is stressful. It will get better. I did post a link to a few options for end of life. There are some videos on youtube as well. Is there someone who can help you with this, whether emotional support, or that has experience? You are in our thoughts. All will be well soon and she will be at peace. Hang in there.

Last edited:
I’m so sorry. I have to say though I do not have ducks I have had to put down a few chickens. I didn’t think I was physically strong enough but the best way I have found was cervical dislocation.
My last hen I held in my lap. Leaned over her to hold her body between my legs and belly and pulled her heads towards my back.
It is honestly one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. I knew it was right to end her suffering.

So sorry about your duck. I think there could have been a prolapse or perhaps not. A prolapse comes out, appearing red, and other poultry will peck at it, injuring the tissue, and sometimes will pull out more tissue. Sometimes we will see a prolapse on here so severe that the large intestines come out or are pulled out.

She cannot survive having her organs outside her body. Even if you went to the vet, the organs have been drying out and have started becoming necrotic or dead. Putting that back inside would be create a horrible infection that she could not survive. And that is if the organs have not been already damaged by pecking.

So I would find a good method to put her down, whether it is the broomstick method or taking a very sharp knife to her jugular vein or a hatchet. So sorry.

Back
Top Bottom