HELP HUGE EMERGENCY!!!!

I will put her to rest if I need to I’d honestly like to try anything I can first. But you may be right and I will not let her suffer if that’s the case. Part of loving an animal is knowing when to say goodbye. I just hoped I would of had a lot more time with her. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening in the future?

We all do our best to help our animals and that's all we can do. There is no right or wrong answer. You will know in your heart when it is time. You are there in person and you are the best judge of her condition. I know a vet is not always an option, so do not feel bad if you do not choose a vet visit, especially if the vet may not be able to offer help. You will get many opinions on this thread of what you should do, and you must read them all and sort through them and weigh them and do what you feel is right in your situation. I hope your poor duck does not need to suffer and you can give her comfort. :hugs

It’s coming from her vent, at least that’s what it looks like to me. My WiFi is very slow so it’s taking me awhile to see new post

It is quite severe. The bleeding is very concerning. I'm going to agree with @azygous it seems to be a lot of damage. I would also put her down.

Sorry.

If you don't want to do that, then we will continue to help you the best you can.

Though I have no experience with this problem in particular, I think you should wait till you can get help, since you mentioned that someone could possibly help you later today. See what they recommend, then go from there. It may not be as bad as it looks too, and hey sometimes they can pull through and make a recovery if they are treated in time. She is most likely in pain from that, and I hate to see an animal suffer, but perhaps your friend can save her. I would personally opt for a vet visit, but I realize it's not always possible to do, especially if you live in an area with no avian vets that are near. I wish you both the best of luck :hugs

I’m trying to have her hold until 4:20ish When a friend gets off work who thinks they might be able to help. the vet closest to us does not do poultry.
I appreciate all the help everyone is giving and I will put her down if my friend is unable to help or she starts to get really bad before she arrives. I love my duck and I will not make her suffer.
The bleeding has stopped quite a bit and I still have hope she may survive. If I do have to put her down what way can I do it so it is quick and painless? I know that question may sound bad but I’ve never had to put down an animal before except at vets offices where they use euthanasia.

I’m trying to have her hold until 4:20ish When a friend gets off work who thinks they might be able to help. the vet closest to us does not do poultry.
I appreciate all the help everyone is giving and I will put her down if my friend is unable to help or she starts to get really bad before she arrives. I love my duck and I will not make her suffer.
The bleeding has stopped quite a bit and I still have hope she may survive. If I do have to put her down what way can I do it so it is quick and painless? I know that question may sound bad but I’ve never had to put down an animal before except at vets offices where they use euthanasia.
It is not a bad question to ask.
I must say, I don't know - I have no ducks, but I am going to assume you could put them down just like a chicken. Not an easy thing to do, especially under the circumstances.
Broomstick method (cervical dislocation) would be one way to do it.

Hopefully @casportpony @Miss Lydia or someone that has ducks will chime in.

Something (besides the obvious, blood) isn't right to me. A normal prolapse wouldn't be bleeding like this. This is severe trauma to the duck.

This is just a question...please don't be offended... but what kind of dog do you have, and are you sure (s)he wouldn't go after a duck? I've seen dogs start eating at the vent area and continue from there... it just doesn't look to me like the proposed tissue has been pecked at by birds...

I’m keeping it moist and the dog is about 20 pounds and a prety big mix of stuff. She plays with kittens and has been with ducklings and chicks. She was raised around the ducks and has even defended them from another dog that tried to attack them. She was also out there when I found the duck and she was laying out in the sun not by the duck so I do not believe it was her.

Back
Top Bottom