Help! Injured Duck

@Eggcessive @Isaac 0 . @sourland

I got a few better pictures if my poor baby. Tractor supply closed before I got there šŸ˜­ I did try warm compresses...he did not love them. I was worried he h at all when I was a half inch from his face, and he never flinched, but he can get in and out of the indoor and outdoor parts of the coop, and is finding the water buckets fine. He hasn't eaten yet, but is drinking good. He still has puffy eyes, I can't get his head clean, I believe he is missing feathers, and that poor beak looks pitiful šŸ„ŗ I have a few better pictures here. Flash was on so it makes his eyes red, and one picture has his mate in there for comparison. Please excuse the poo on the wall....didn't get to a deeper clean in there this evening with this incident.

I suspect when he was in the bucket, he kept scraping his bill on the outer edges of the hole, additionally, the males were likely pecking the bill, and plucking feathers off his face. The feathers around his face are quite disorganized, but I suspect over the next few days they'll dry up, and start interlocking more.

When you get the ointment, I would simply apply that to his eye, and beak edges as needed. If you provide head deep water and ensure the males no longer can attack him, I feel his head feathers will slowly get back to normal.

My gut is that he is going to be okay, and that his eyes will be fine. The next problem will likely be with the other drakes as they may feel that they have deposed him from top billing. Closely monitor reintroduction.

I suspect when he was in the bucket, he kept scraping his bill on the outer edges of the hole, additionally, the males were likely pecking the bill, and plucking feathers off his face. The feathers around his face are quite disorganized, but I suspect over the next few days they'll dry up, and start interlocking more.

When you get the ointment, I would simply apply that to his eye, and beak edges as needed. If you provide head deep water and ensure the males no longer can attack him, I feel his head feathers will slowly get back to normal.
thank you! I let them into their run this morning (was working on a divider and the other males immediately attacked him, but he immediately bit them and held them down, which makes me hopeful that he got some strength back. They are all in their run together I just put in a wire divider so they can all be out there and still see each other, O watched them for about an hour, and so far so good. Getting ointment today, and hopefully it will go uphill from there. Thank you again for your advice!

My gut is that he is going to be okay, and that his eyes will be fine. The next problem will likely be with the other drakes as they may feel that they have deposed him from top billing. Closely monitor reintroduction.
I'm hoping so, but today he is already doing better than last night. Looks rough, but acting much more like himself. I will continue to watch and separate to make sure he is 100% before being left alone out there with them. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom