Help me figure out different aged chicks

EMS83

Songster
9 Years
Dec 19, 2013
Georgia
The local poultry show is today, but I've already ordered 12 black australorp chicks from our local feed store for pickup March 30. I do have two big Sterilite bins (basically 4.5 sq.ft. and 18ish" deep) with vented tops. But when it comes time for them to graduate from that around 4-6 weeks, I'm not sure where to put them and what age they can be integrated. The ultimate goal is to subdivide my chicken run in a couple months and put a chicken tractor out there for the younger ones. My older flock is down to 5 hens.

The bins are big enough for about 2 weeks, if that. So plan on graduating them to something larger sooner, or work on subdividing the run and coop space now, and if possible, brood outdoors.

Don't know what your temperatures are in late March but my guess is they'll be perfectly fine for raising outdoors if you can run electricity out to the set up.

I am an early integrator as mentioned above. I raise the chicks outside so they can get used to the adults and vice versa. Around 2 weeks they're interacting with the flock and around 4 weeks they're off heat and fully moved into the coop. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

Thanks to both of you! I think this is most feasible for me:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/
We have an 8x10 hoop coop with a ladder roost; I'd need to rework the roost and attach a plain 2x3 to the cattle panel to free up floor space.

However, my coop is not wired and about 75 feet from my house; I don't feel safe running cords out to it. I could set the brooder up on my patio, but our dogs have access to the patio and the exterior outlet isn't protected from the elements when in use. No weatherproof box or anything.

And I'm in Georgia; our temps are all over the place until mid-April when it just gets hot, then hotter. So maybe it'd be fine. they'll be 4 weeks at the end of April. The rain is the biggest issue; the entire front of the coop is open mesh for ventilation.

The rain is the biggest issue; the entire front of the coop is open mesh for ventilation.
If needed you could use clear plastic to cover up a few feet of the front of the coop temporarily while the chicks are in there. Since my brooder sits out in the run I use plastic panels to help divert rain (and we get a lot of spring rain), but otherwise I've found it's not an issue if the brooder gets slightly damp.

I’m just the queen of flukes, so I play it safe, but I’ll look into getting a weatherproof box for my outlet. That’s my biggest concern.

So could I start one batch this weekend, move them to an outdoor brooder at 2 weeks then repeat the process with the March 30 batch, with all chicks ending up in the outdoor brooder in mid-April? That would put 6-week-olds and 2-week-olds together.

I’m just the queen of flukes, so I play it safe, but I’ll look into getting a weatherproof box for my outlet. That’s my biggest concern.

Yes, a proper outdoor box with the correct fault interrupter for the installation on the house is critical for safety.

That would put 6-week-olds and 2-week-olds together.

I *personally* wouldn't mix chicks in the brooder unless I could divide it. But I also integrate 4 or 5-week-old chicks into the coop so I'd never have 6-week-olds still in the brooder.

No, now it's 12 on March 29, 12 on April 12, and possibly 12 more either mid- or late March (I'm still waiting to hear from the breeder on that). The set dates are feed store chicks from an in-state hatchery. I'm hedging my bets since everyone wants chickens right now.

So if I had an indoor brooder for up to 2 weeks, then an outdoor brooder in the run/big coop for 2-4 or 6 weeks, would that work and keep all the chicks moving through the stages safely?

Back
Top Bottom