Help me with run roofing ideas?

mcclucker

Songster
Jul 2, 2016
VT
My Coop
My Coop
So last summer I built a very large permanent enclosed run - 12x24 - after losing 12 free range birds to a weasel. I meant to roof it before winter but it took forever to put up and I couldn’t get the roof done. It has hardware cloth side panels and the floor has 3’ of hardware cloth on the ground all the way around inside to prevent digging.

I want to do clear poly carb panels for roof (we have major snowfall and dark winters and I want them to have sunlight in winter if possible) but it’s going to cost $600 to cover the whole thing and I’m not sure I can swing that. I can do half for snow protection but I need to keep the weasel out from the other half. I’ve seen those jerks climb. An open roof is a disaster. Metal is possible but it’s also really expensive. And doesn’t let sun in.

Hardware cloth on top? Something else? Can you do electric netting on a roof? Would that work?

Here’s a pic. That tarp area is now very small- We do get a LOT of snow. Right now they only get supervised outside time because of the &$@@ weasel. I’d like them to be able to be out all day unless it’s very cold. The panels have hardware cloth now up to the top beams. 3FDE1C26-8314-4082-B8D6-C99C9445C861.jpeg

Did I mention we get a lot of snow?... 21E47B69-86E8-4E1C-8FD2-EFB03A634D0E.jpeg
They have just this small area right now under a tarp. Most cost effective snow preventive predator proof way to roof this? I wouldn’t have made it so big if I had thought more about how hard it would be to roof... D7C26C7D-74A4-47BF-9C76-E36C2DA89985.jpeg

Talk to your local building supply about mis-irders, unclaimed orders, packing metal (sheets put on top and bottom of orders for shipping), etc. It wont necessarily all match, but you can sometimes get lucky.
My run is 2/3 solid (metal) and 1/3 clear (poly/plastic).....we lucked out and got part of an order that had been ordered with an error in length of sheets so got it at cost, not retail

Don't forget to use strong roofing framing.
Since you get a lot of snow that will be very important.
Yes the plan is for 2x6x16’ beams set 2’ apart with cross pieces to brace. (Shed style sloped roof) I need to lower the back side for more roof pitch as well. I’ll add some more support to the top boards on the sides. The posts are 4x4s set in cement 2’ + deep in the ground. But yes, that was part of the reason I couldn’t get the roof on in time last fall. Lots to frame first.

Noted. This is a good point. Do you need less cross bracing of the roof beams if you use metal? This would also save me some $$.

Not sure.....good question though. I would think less would work since the metal is so much more rigid.

Be sure to look that up for what is recommended.

Also take a trip to a place that sells "run in shelters" for horses. Make like you are in the market and see what they do in your area.
Free education. ;)

Back
Top Bottom