HELP! Peaowl with bad eye opens mouth shakes head.

Yes found that out the hard way
smile.png

Awwww....
hugs.gif

Tylan 200 is amazing! My peafowl is almost 100% better! Thank you everyone!!!
wee.gif

Today is the third day of treatment but it isn't time for his medicine yet. My peafowl has had an increase in appetite and strength but his eye is still cloudy and he continues to shake his head. Is this normal for this point in the treatment? Also I have not seen him open his mouth any more. Has anyone ever had their peafowl hold a big bulge of food they cant swallow in their throats? Mine was but he wasn't choking but he was holding his head oddly or is that how they choke? I gently pushed it out. Did I do the right thing?

You did the right thing my massaging the food out. If they get a large mass of food stuck there they can die. As for the eye being cloudy, chances are pretty good that he's lost sight in it... I've seen this before in poultry, cats and horses. If a vet is an option, you might want to have him looked at if you want to save his eye.

-Kathy

Today is the third day of treatment but it isn't time for his medicine yet. My peafowl has had an increase in appetite and strength but his eye is still cloudy and he continues to shake his head. Is this normal for this point in the treatment? Also I have not seen him open his mouth any more. Has anyone ever had their peafowl hold a big bulge of food they cant swallow in their throats? Mine was but he wasn't choking but he was holding his head oddly or is that how they choke? I gently pushed it out. Did I do the right thing?
Can you post a picture of the eye? I never had food stuck in my peafowl's throat, what kind of food are you feeding him? Yes always try to romove anything caught in your bird's thoat. If your bird is blind in the eye a Vet isn't going to help and they eye isn't going to go anywhere. Is his nose still runny?

Animals with eye problems will sometimes have to have the eye removed, but eyes can be saved if the appropriate action is taken. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all cloudy eyes have to be removed, just that I have seen this before in poultry, cats and horses.

-Kathy

Last edited:
My bird went blind in both eyes and they are still there. Ookin does he look at you with the cloudy eye? while holding him try bringing your hand towards the good eye and see if he moves his head. Now try it with the cloudy eye, if he moves away then he is not blind.

Back
Top Bottom