Help! Rescue Rooster flying away!

View attachment 1431823 One of my friends accidentally ended up with a bantam rooster she couldn’t keep, so she rehomed him here. Not realizing he could full on fly (and forgive me if we did this wrong, we are newbies!) we showed him his roosting spot out in the yard. He was doing well for about 45 mins until my dog sniffed his bottom and spooked him. He flew straight into the woods up in a tree between ours and our neighbors property. Luckily they have chickens too and he went to hang with their hens. We got him back and I penned him up.
So I guess my question is, what do I do now? I don’t feel like I should be clipping roo wings because it’s part of their defense, but everyone around here free ranges all day and I feel back having him cooped up. Advice?

Haha! I have one just like him. I bought the one in my profile picture in march when he was a year old. He kept flying away and out of the pens and kept trying to run. it took me and my family to catch him! it took 1 hour to get him. we had to quickly put the 2 waterers and 2 feeders for him so we didnt have to open his coop and risk the chance of him getting out. after 2 weeks in the coop, we could FINALLY open the lid all the way without him escaping.
Hes such a sweetie now!
Mines a mottled cochin bantam. Also clipping wings doesnt hurt them as long as you do it right, but even when you do clip them, they can still jump high and peck or claw for defense. :)

Haha! I have one just like him. I bought the one in my profile picture in march when he was a year old. He kept flying away and out of the pens and kept trying to run. it took me and my family to catch him! it took 1 hour to get him. we had to quickly put the 2 waterers and 2 feeders for him so we didnt have to open his coop and risk the chance of him getting out. after 2 weeks in the coop, we could FINALLY open the lid all the way without him escaping.
Hes such a sweetie now!
Mines a mottled cochin bantam. Also clipping wings doesnt hurt them as long as you do it right, but even when you do clip them, they can still jump high and peck or claw for defense. :)

Haha! That’s funny! I’m glad I’m not the only one.
I totally wasn’t expecting a rooster to full on fly so the first reaction was just ‘awe’, then like ooohhh shoot how do we fix this (since he was high up in a tree in the middle of the woods surrounded by water) completely unreachable lol. Definitely luck that we got him back.

I’m not sure what this little guy is, I know he came from TSC labeled “bantams” ‍

Haha! That’s funny! I’m glad I’m not the only one.
I totally wasn’t expecting a rooster to full on fly so the first reaction was just ‘awe’, then like ooohhh shoot how do we fix this (since he was high up in a tree in the middle of the woods surrounded by water) completely unreachable lol. Definitely luck that we got him back.

I’m not sure what this little guy is, I know he came from TSC labeled “bantams” ‍♀️

Hes a cutie thats for sure. He definitely came from the bantam box, Hes so skinny, just like mine. haha!
He looks like a mottled cochin like mine just with less spots or something, Im not a expert on chicken breeds though, ^-^ Might have to scroll through endless pages of The 'Chicken breed' forum haha. Heres a picture of what mine kinda looks like (A show rooster)
upload_2018-6-17_20-10-27.png

Haha maybe a little less developed of course but, I think yours might be a bantam - Mottled cochin!

Hes a cutie thats for sure. He definitely came from the bantam box, Hes so skinny, just like mine. haha!
He looks like a mottled cochin like mine just with less spots or something, Im not a expert on chicken breeds though, ^-^ Might have to scroll through endless pages of The 'Chicken breed' forum haha. Heres a picture of what mine kinda looks like (A show rooster) View attachment 1434701

Haha maybe a little less developed of course but, I think yours might be a bantam - Mottled cochin!

Haha I also put 2 hens in his coop, now hes so happy. He dances around them like such a dork. Hes so adorable, His crow is so amazing unlike 'Daniel' and 'iggit' We renamed Buffy to Daniel cause he survived the lions den. (Dogs pen. he played dead, God- WISHED HE WAS DEAD!)

I had 3 other roosters (sadly the best one died, Coney, the giant rooster died from a heart attack.. the other two were so retarded and had the worst crow, we gave them away to a pound and they went to a nice farm. haha.

Back
Top Bottom