Help Stop the Manual Molt!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by highcountrychickens, Feb 14, 2009.

1. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    I have thrown everything but the kitchen sink at this one, and wonder if I'm missing something... I have a Columbian Wyandotte roo and hen, and a Jersey Giant hen who have become pathological pickers. It started a little last summer, and I responded by giving away the worst offender, and lost two CW hens to a fox around the same time. The three remaining are wretched looking - the latest casualty is the Jersey Giant... who now looks pre-plucked. The CW hen picks and EATS the feathers. I would like to solve this rather than simply cull if at all possible, because the farmer in me has been brushed aside for my fondness of the two hens - plus, baldness considered, it's a rare day when I don't have 2 eggs!
    Here's the rundown of stats so far: I live high in the rockies, so it's very cold - some days they can't get out, but the henhouse has tons of space, two windows, heat, 2 perches, lots of clean water with mineral supplements, hen scratch and pellets, every two or three days I feed them bread/crackers with cat food, table scraps, greens, veggies, and a vitamin supplement that includes high amounts of B vitamins; I have tried Rooster Booster Pick No More applied, Anti Pick spray strong enough to be used for self defense in any inner city, and red heat light on a timer (on at 6:30 off at 9:30).
    I'm looking forward to getting chicks in a month, and would like to solve this before the time comes later in the summer to merge the flocks.
    I don't want to clip their beaks, but have heard of a butterfly like device for their beaks so they can't see straight forward, but can see down to eat and drink, but I haven't run across information about them. Has anyone heard of this?
    Am I missing something? Does anyone have a suggestion?

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Sorry about what's happening...extremely frustrating, I know. I have read here that eating feathers can be an indication that they aren't getting enough protein so I would suggest you give them some chick starter or game starter which has higher protein than layer feed. I googled chicken blinders and here's one website that came up. There were lots more. Good luck!

https://www.randallburkey.com/products.asp?dept=115&pagenumber=1&sort_on=&sort_by=

3. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Oh Thank you!! I have just ordered some! I'll post back about how they work - it will be nice to see if I can have chickens with feathers again!!

4. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    mashed boiled egg treats will give them lots of protein till you get your order in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by