HELP! WHAT JUST HAPPEND!?

Big Mistake........
I woke up yesterday morning and relized what a big mistake I had made . I didn't think ANYTHING through . I DO WANT MY CHICKENS . It was just that my freak out about all the deaths made me jump to getting rid of them . It's to late for me to keep all of them but the "new owners" are alowing me to keep at least two . Thank God for that . I'm sad to see the others go but It IS for the best . They seem to escape no matter what I do . I decide on keeping Butterscotch and Goldielocks (my least favorites so I won't be to sad if they die) . I will be getting the spray though so praying that will work . (I'm posting this because I'm going to be posting pictures of thease two and I didn't want you guys to think I lied about everything)
@Texas Kiki
@trumpeting_angel
@mixedUPturk
@EggSighted4Life

(Please tag anyone that names I missed)
:celebrate Happy, Happy, Joy, JOY! :celebrate
:jumpy:bun:wee:bun:jumpy

Many of us will make knee jerk ultimatum type reactions when we are hurting and then realize that's not what we truly want but seemed like the only answer at the time. Changing your mind during times of duress does not make someone a liar. I promise I have considered throwing the towel in on more than one occasion. I'm glad you are reconsidering, we are here to support ya! :thumbsup

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::love

:celebrate Happy, Happy, Joy, JOY! :celebrate
:jumpy:bun:wee:bun:jumpy

:celebrate:ya:celebrate:ya:celebrate:ya

Downsizing, at least temporarily, is actually a good idea. Once you've had some time to regroup, if you post some pictures of your set-up and some of your ideas for upgrades, I'm sure you'll get tons of suggestions from the BYC community on how to prevent these issues from recurring.

Ooooh ... and I just had another thought ... an even BETTER one one ...
You'll have the rest of the summer and through the cold to seriously rework and predator proof your coop and run. Come Spring ... you get to have MORE FLUFFYBUTTS! I love peeps ... so little and so fluffy and so soft and so cute ... but I can't keep getting more because the little buggers keep insisting on growing up into CHICKENS ... and they take up so much more space ...{{{Sigh}}} ... !

Come Spring ... you get to have MORE FLUFFYBUTTS! I love peeps ... so little and so fluffy and so soft and so cute ... but I can't keep getting more because the little buggers keep insisting on growing up into CHICKENS ... and they take up so much more space ...{{{Sigh}}} ... !

Lol:lau

Downsizing, at least temporarily, is actually a good idea. Once you've had some time to regroup, if you post some pictures of your set-up and some of your ideas for upgrades, I'm sure you'll get tons of suggestions from the BYC community on how to prevent these issues from recurring.

Ooooh ... and I just had another thought ... an even BETTER one one ...
You'll have the rest of the summer and through the cold to seriously rework and predator proof your coop and run. Come Spring ... you get to have MORE FLUFFYBUTTS! I love peeps ... so little and so fluffy and so soft and so cute ... but I can't keep getting more because the little buggers keep insisting on growing up into CHICKENS ... and they take up so much more space ...{{{Sigh}}} ... !

Thanks for the advice!!! :D :D

I saw a recent post about adding window screens to all of the hardware cloth windows and vents to keep out the gnats. Sounds good. I’ve been using permethrin and basil - dried or fresh basil discourages flies. I planted a bunch this year and then I bought some basil plants when they got overgrown at the nursery. In addition to cleaning out the poop it does seem to improve the fly situation. I don’t have too many gnats, but I want to stay one step ahead.

So glad you are recovering from the shock. I would have been devastated.

I am so so sorry :hit I live in Florida and the heat is so bad right now and I had no idea gnats could hurt them like that. The gnats are really bad here as well

I have no idea what just happened!!! I went outside to bring my Silkie inside because the gnats were being especially vicious and they really annoy her because she has like fur for feathers . She came running to me as usal but when I picked her up and walked over to say hi to the other chickens she started flopping everywhere then died! My poor baby.....she was my favorite:hit:hit:hit Do you have any idea what happend!? The only thing I noticed was that her head had more gnat bites than usual . Yes, I did try various bug sprays for chickens but nothing seems to really work!!!!

*Groans* guys I don't know what to do!!! I have just learned that the plp four of my chickens would be going to have a dog that does not like chickens! Yes, they have a whole separate pen but what if the chickens escape!? There are also feral cats and they are surround by woods (so wild animals!) I don't know who to send! I was going to be sending my favorites because I thought they would be perfectly safe but now I'm not so sure! I'm weighing out where they'd be safer here or there gnats/harvesting machine(only if they somehow escape) vs. dogs(if they escape)/wild animals(breaking and entering)/feral cats(breaking and entering) . I WISH I HAD NEVER GOTTEN INTO THIS MESS!!!!!!! At least this will teach me not to make hasty decisions.........I could keep my favorites (3) and buy a pullet for a fourth (we guaranteed them four) but would keeping three be okay? I've heard and read there has to be an even number of chickens so everyone has a friend . Though they DO split off into two groups Shadow,Princess Speckles,Muffin then Goldielocks,Butterscotch,Lady . WHAT DO I DO!?!?
@Texas Kiki
@EggSighted4Life
@trumpeting_angel
@MROO

If this is considered a minor problem then I'm sorry for bothering you.....

Last edited:
*Groans* guys I don't know what to do!!! I have just learned that the plp four of my chickens would be going to have a dog that does not like chickens! Yes, they have a whole separate pen but what if the chickens escape!? There are also feral cats and they are surround by woods (so wild animals!) I don't know who to send! I was going to be sending my favorites because I thought they would be perfectly safe but now I'm not so sure! I'm weighing out where they'd be safer here or there gnats/harvesting machine(only if they somehow escape) vs. dogs(if they escape)/wild animals(breaking and entering)/feral cats(breaking and entering) . I WISH I HAD NEVER GOTTEN INTO THIS MESS!!!!!!! At least this will teach me not to make hasty decisions.........I could keep my favorites (3) and buy a pullet for a fourth (we guaranteed them four) but would keeping three be okay? I've heard and read there has to be an even number of chickens so everyone has a friend . Though they DO split off into two groups Shadow,Princess Speckles,Muffin then Goldielocks,Butterscotch,Lady . WHAT DO I DO!?!?
@Texas Kiki
@EggSighted4Life
@trumpeting_angel
@MROO

If this is considered a minor problem then I'm sorry for bothering you.....
They're your chickens; so can't you tell them that you changed your mind and want to keep them?

Back
Top Bottom