Help with picking size of pond

desielducks

Songster
Jun 8, 2015
Hey there , I’m not quite sure if this is where this goes. Last time I was here the website was completely different haha. But I’m needing help trying to figure out how big of a pond I need for my ducks! I have 1 Pekin, 1 khaki, and 4 calls. I was wanting something that wasn’t to expensive and wasn’t going to get super destroyed over the summer haha. Last time I had a “pool” for them somehow it got so gross it just wasn’t cutting it for em!! I want something I can easily drain. If y’all have a certain trough you use or diy pool ideas please please tell me!!

Hi! I think no matter what you do, it will have to be cleaned regularly - they sure are messy little buggers! :barnieI only have 2 ducks and use a 70 gal stock tank with a pump/filter/uv light/fountain. I add water and skim it daily and deep clean weekly. They do make stock tanks with drains - i'd recommend that. or just use a small kiddy pool that you can dump and refill at least once a day. There are so many experts here on BYC so you'll get a lot more great suggestions I'm sure! I'm always looking for ideas so let us know what you find successful for you. Good luck!!!

I clean my 40 Gallon stock tank every two days, if not daily. Takes maybe ten minutes though! I don’t have a drain so I use a sump pump, dump the last little bit, scrub, rinse, and refill.

This is only for two ducks though!

Hey there , I’m not quite sure if this is where this goes. Last time I was here the website was completely different haha. But I’m needing help trying to figure out how big of a pond I need for my ducks! I have 1 Pekin, 1 khaki, and 4 calls. I was wanting something that wasn’t to expensive and wasn’t going to get super destroyed over the summer haha. Last time I had a “pool” for them somehow it got so gross it just wasn’t cutting it for em!! I want something I can easily drain. If y’all have a certain trough you use or diy pool ideas please please tell me!!
I got a pool for mine and I made a drain for it. Pool was less than $10 and the supplies for the drain was maybe $20. It was easy, too.

I have 4 adult ducks and when it gets dirty I just turn the valve and let it drain then come back and spray it out and refill it. Pretty easy.

Attachments

• 102792BC-54CF-4E70-8CB7-1CDD012E245B.jpeg
    102792BC-54CF-4E70-8CB7-1CDD012E245B.jpeg
    870.6 KB · Views: 10
I got a pool for mine and I made a drain for it. Pool was less than $10 and the supplies for the drain was maybe $20. It was easy, too.

I have 4 adult ducks and when it gets dirty I just turn the valve and let it drain then come back and spray it out and refill it. Pretty easy.

I like that!! They can swim and clean themselves without trouble ?? Mine don’t seem to dive often but i don’t want to limit
Then if they decide to !

I have been needing to put a drain on my kiddie pool. I would hate it if neighbors saw me outside with a bucket bent over a kiddie pool(hopefully they don't think I swam in it) scooping water in loads out of the pool!:gigCan you tell me how you made it or turn it into a article so we can carry out this conversation without interrupting the post?

I used a 3 ft x 4 ft rubber mortar mixing tub.
even the geese used it. everybody took their turn. when they got finished with their splashing around, I simply took it by one edge and dumped it out.. then I would fill it again the next day. It is about 8 inches deep. holds about 15 - 20 gallons.
this tub is over 12 years old. I had two of them, but they do not hold up very well to be run over by a tractor.
The geese even had enough room for a pair of them in at the same time. and they could successfully breed in there, too.
I tried a kiddie pool, they just don't hold up for very long..
just remember, you need to have something for smaller fowl to get onto and climb out. I draped a rubber welcome mat over the edge, they could climb in and out over that mat.the full grown ducks and geese didn't use the mat..
I once took the tractor and scooped out a pond in the ground. don't do this unless you have water running into it like a natural little stream.. that pond got so skunky and slimy I finally filled it back in.

I have been needing to put a drain on my kiddie pool. I would hate it if neighbors saw me outside with a bucket bent over a kiddie pool(hopefully they don't think I swam in it) scooping water in loads out of the pool!:gigCan you tell me how you made it or turn it into a article so we can carry out this conversation without interrupting the post?
I just copied what she did in this video:

I like that!! They can swim and clean themselves without trouble ?? Mine don’t seem to dive often but i don’t want to limit
Then if they decide to !
I tried to post a video of one of my ducks swimming in it. They can clean themselves fully and they play in it. They’re Muscovy but you can add this drain to any pool.

I posted the link to the video I copied. All I did differently was add a hose to the end so it would drain farther away.

Back
Top Bottom