Hen acting like it’s in a deep sleep but is responsive

SquirrelDog

Hatching
Sep 17, 2023
One of my hens seems to be in a deep sleep maybe? Her eyes won’t open and her head is drooping downward but if I gently move her head she’ll move around with her eyes still closed. Her heart beat is strong, her breathing is normal, she’ll even grip my finger with her feet. I have no idea what is wrong with her

Welcome To BYC
Can you post photos of her and her poop?

How old is she?
Can you feel her crop, what is it like?

Could she have eaten anything old, moldy or toxic?

If she's of laying age, when was her last egg - have you felt for an egg?

Welcome To BYC
Can you post photos of her and her poop?

How old is she?
Can you feel her crop, what is it like?

Could she have eaten anything old, moldy or toxic?

If she's of laying age, when was her last egg - have you felt for an egg?
She’s two years old, she laid an egg yesterday morning and her poop is slightly watery
I haven’t checked her crop but I’ve been giving her VetRx and she became lively again.
Everything she eats is fresh and I get her food with herbs and packed with vitamins. I’m starting to think perhaps her acid levels were off and I’ll probably start adding apple cider vinegar to my flocks water

I highly doubt that acid levels being off is the only problem here. Not sure what it is, but seems like a bit more than that.

She’s two years old, she laid an egg yesterday morning and her poop is slightly watery
I haven’t checked her crop but I’ve been giving her VetRx and she became lively again.
Everything she eats is fresh and I get her food with herbs and packed with vitamins. I’m starting to think perhaps her acid levels were off and I’ll probably start adding apple cider vinegar to my flocks water
I'm glad she's doing better.

Sounds like she may have been dehydrated. I'd watch to make sure she's getting to food/water o.k., check to make sure her crop is emptying and look for lice/mites as @LaFleche suggested.

Back
Top Bottom