Hen looks healthy, but not acting normal

jaxneptune

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 10, 2010
I have several free range chickens. One hen who is about 3yrs, has not been acting normal for about a month now. She barely eats but does not show a significant loss in weight. She can run when she wants to, but usually just stands around by herself. Not sure if she is laying, but probably not. From what I can tell her poop is kind of orange and watery. Her color and everything else look fine. If you did not know her you would think she is a healthy bird. Like I said, this is going on for about a month now. She gets no better or worse.

I took my hen to the vet today for the very same thing. Lethargic, isolated, not interacting or acting like a chicken. For about a month. Didn't find anything unusually wrong, other than underweight. Administered fluids, tube fed, calcium, penicillin g and sent us home. Will keep you posted.

I guess she may be somewhat underweight. Could be she was by far the largest and fattest before this and just is not showing. The way she just picks at food she should be skin and bones by now. I think when this all started she may have been laying eggs with very little shell. There would be just a glob of yoke and mush in the nest box. It is hard to tell if it was her since the other hens switch nest boxes.

Back
Top Bottom