Hen with poults Laying?

TCookie

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2018
Hi,
I have a 1 year old Bourbon Red hen with 5 10 week old poults. When will she likely start laying again? I don't have a tom for her yet.

Thanks!

Hi,
I have a 1 year old Bourbon Red hen with 5 10 week old poults. When will she likely start laying again? I don't have a tom for her yet.

Thanks!
First off...:welcome! I hope that you enjoy this site as much as the rest of us do! I have learned SOOO much, and I hope you learn stuff too! Secondly, usually they will wait till her pullets are old enough to take care of themselves. Although I have read of many of them laying when there pullets are 2-4 weeks old! Just be patient, and she'll lay on her own time! You should post a pic of your little pullets, we'd all LOVE to see them!:love :thumbsup

Hi,

Thanks!
Each hen reacts differently. I had a Royal Palm hen that started laying again one week after hatching her clutch of eggs.

Since you don't have a tom and you are allowing her to keep and raise her poults, it is possible that she will not start laying again until next spring.

I currently have a Blue Slate hen that is being the adoptive mother to 6 Sweetgrass poults of various ages. She is refusing the tom and it is very likely that she won't start laying again until next year.

Back
Top Bottom