Hens Clearing Their Throats

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alamama, Jul 29, 2014.

1. alamama

alamama In the Brooder

May 31, 2013
    Recently a couple of our hens are making these noises like they are sort of clearing their throats. They have no other symptoms, just curious.

TIA

2. MidnightRooster

MidnightRooster In the Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    USA
    The hens are probably trying to crow, or something. It happened to me once. Yes--hens can crow.
    I'm not sure, but if they're not getting hurt or anything I wouldn't worry.
    -Midnight.

3. Suzie

Suzie Crowing

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Have you recently dewormed them? If not..it may be advisable to do so..they could have gapeworm...

Are their combs red? If not, they may have lice or mites...

4. alamama

alamama In the Brooder

May 31, 2013
    Suzie, their combs are red so we are probably good there. However, we haven't dewormed them. How do we do that?

5. Suzie

Suzie Crowing

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Safeguard/Panacur paste is recommended by many here on BYC...for a fullsized bird a pea sized amount is sufficient..use a small syringe (without needle) and pull the wattles down...the chicken will open its beak...insert the loaded syringe release contents and immediately release wattles to allow the chicken to swallow. Repeat in 14 days...do not eat eggs during treatment and there is a 14 day withdrawal period after second dose...i.e. 28 days without eating their eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: