oscarwhitehampton

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
About 1 and 1/2 months ago I got 4 bantams (2 silkies, 1 chamois polish and 1 pekin). The farm I got them from stated that all their chickens are from 16-20 weeks old when sold.
I was wondering if anyone knew how long it would take for them to start laying? And also does anyone have any advice on how to encourage them to start? I have put a couple of golf balls in their nesting box, however this hasn't seem to have done anything.
Thank you!

Welcome to BYC! :jumpy:welcome:jumpy

Bantams generally take a while to start laying. It will probably be another month or two. I know it's hard to wait (my chickens took a while to start), but it's definitely worth it!

Usally silkies start laying between 7 and 9 months but it could be later. I’m not sure about your others as I only own silkies. Hope this helps
OK thank you! I've heard that about the silkies. Also, how are your silkies at laying during the winter? As I've heard mixed things about this

Welcome to BYC! :jumpy:welcome:jumpy

Bantams generally take a while to start laying. It will probably be another month or two. I know it's hard to wait (my chickens took a while to start), but it's definitely worth it!

Thank you! Haha I'll just have to be a little more patient! Any tips for in 2 months time and there's still no eggs? Any feed or bedding that can encourage them to start?

Back
Top Bottom