Here we go....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
The buff chick barely drank, and the cocci didn't go away after those two days were up. I was still seeing red. In fact, the buff was acting less like herself.
I was afraid they wouldn't be alive in a week.
I wedged it in a corner (and even taped it to the side at one point) but you don't know these birds. The Wyandotte has a mean kick on him.
Should I stop anyway, and possibly use the nutri drops in their water? I was wondering if the medicine would stop having an effect if they got too used to it.
He gave me 3.5 ml.
He said something about 1ml for two days and then repeat in a week?
I'm a bit confused I suppose....stop what?
You gave the medication for the 2 days correct? That was when - wed, thurs or so - this is Sunday - they should have been drinking plain water the whole time after the 2 days you gave them medicated water - you repeat the medication in a week - so I don't see why you can't give them vitamins for a day or so. :confused:

I don't see how the medication would stop having an effect if you are following dosing directions - you only gave the 2 days as directed correct? Follow the instructions the man gave you and make sure when you give the last round of treatment that the birds are drinking the treated water.

If they are seriously kicking over the water station all the time, then they need more room or you need a different water station.

I have left them the medicated water all this time because the buff didn't drink it.
And the buff wasn't getting any better. Since that was all I had, I decided to leave it in and assist him to water.
All this time and I am still seeing pink/red droppings. So I'm assuming it isn't working. I have switched back to plain fresh water today, as I decided I didn't want them on that medicated water if it wasn't going to help.
The man wasn't very clear. I assumed he meant 1 mil for two days because I didn't know what else to think.

I have left them the medicated water all this time because the buff didn't drink it.
And the buff wasn't getting any better. Since that was all I had, I decided to leave it in and assist him to water.
All this time and I am still seeing pink/red droppings. So I'm assuming it isn't working. I have switched back to plain fresh water today, as I decided I didn't want them on that medicated water if it wasn't going to help.
The man wasn't very clear. I assumed he meant 1 mil for two days because I didn't know what else to think.
Give them some plain water to drink.

Sorry for being a pain. I just really want these birds to live.
Thanks for all your help.
I'll see if I can get this thing in time.
Oh goodness, oh my! Yes, what a pain you are! Just don't know what on earth I'm going to do with you :plbb:gig

How are they doing today?
I would give them plain water to drink.
You have Nutri-Drops so direct dose them once a day for a couple of days.

I would still get some probiotics into them as well. Buttermilk? Do you have that - then cook up some white rice, let cool then stir in a little buttermilk - give them some of that once a day? If not, then maybe plain yogurt? 1 teaspoon of yogurt per bird a day.

The problem is you're probably not joking! :lol: well I will continue to be a pain.
I really do appreciate all your help.
I have given them plain water since yesterday. I managed to find some coxoid!!! It's coming from Kerry, which is only a few hours away, so hopefully it won't take long to arrive.
Ordered it first thing this morning and it has already shipped. I hope they can make it until it comes. There was a lot more blood this morning.
Buttermilk isn't something we keep in the cupboard, but I did give them some white rice this morning, because I thought they needed a treat, and because you'd suggested it with the buttermilk.
Yoghurt? Any excuse to give them yoghurt! So much fun watching them eat it :lol: I will do that right away!
I hope the coxoid does the job.
Can I give it to them straight away once I get it, or should I wait because they have had the other medication? I don't want to flood them with medicine.

The problem is you're probably not joking! :lol: well I will continue to be a pain.
I have given them plain water since yesterday. I managed to find some coxoid!!! It's coming from Kerry, which is only a few hours away, so hopefully it won't take long to arrive.
Ordered it first thing this morning and it has already shipped. I hope they can make it until it comes. There was a lot more blood this morning.
Buttermilk isn't something we keep in the cupboard, but I did give them some white rice this morning, because I thought they needed a treat, and because you'd suggested it with the buttermilk.
Yoghurt? Any excuse to give them yoghurt! So much fun watching them eat it :lol: I will do that right away!
Can I give it to them straight away once I get it, or should I wait because they have had the other medication? I don't want to flood them with medicine.
I'm not joking LOL

Glad you were able to order the Coxoid. I would go ahead and start treatment when it arrives.
Amprolium is mild and won't hurt them. Once you start the Coxoid, don't add anything else to the water - complete the whole course of treatment and don't give them any extra vitamins either.

Of COURSE we're joking with you! We;ve all been there and most have realized that the only truly "dumb question" is the one we're embarrassed to ask (or reword and ask again, because we didn't "get it" the first - or second - time) that ends up costing us a bird ... or waaaaaay too much money ... or both!
So ask away. Be a "pain," as you put it ... just remember to be patient with the rest of us when we swap places, next time! :D

I'm SO glad you found the meds locally! You can go ahead and lay a drop along their beaks as soon as you get it, then add it to their water. Follow the instructions on the package, as some have different duration or are formulated for larger livestock. If that's what you get, don't panic. Just post a picture of the label (ingredients & instructions) and someone here will adapt it for you. Just as with human medications, it's important to follow through with the chicks' entire course of treatment, even if they no longer look or act sick. Otherwise, you'll end up having to treat again, and that can be really tough on a baby's system.

Another key point is to NOT give them vitamins while they are on their medication. This is vital, because amprolium kills the Coccidia by depriving it of vitamin B. Unfortunately, it also deprives the birds of the same vitamin. and they need it, too. As soon as the treatment period is over, change out the medicated water & add the poultry Nutri-Drops to it, instead. They work quickly, so they should be just fine.

Please keep us posted and let us know how things are going ... and Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom