He's Out! Mubarak is OUT!

There is no evidence of a theocracy in Egypt. Like Turkey, Egypt is a much more open society than much of the Muslim world. They have more European and American educated people than many Middle Eastern countries and more education for women. Women were significant in the protests, and were not sent home. They have a diverse economy and many Western tourists. I haven't seen any evidence that a theocracy will come from this.

Quote:
None of the presidents in all three incidents deserve to be called a "leader." You do them far too much credit.

Egypt: Egyptians riot in the streets and oust a U.S.-supported DICTATOR. It has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with freedom. If they hate us, it's because WE have effectively been the ones propping up a totalitarian monster who deserves to be hanged. We probably DESERVE hatred, or at least our government does, for doing such a thing. Do they not have the right to govern themselves?

As far as Iran goes, the IAEA has kept a VERY close eye on Iran's programs - the uranium isn't enriched to weapons-grade, far below, in fact. Contrary to popular rumor, advanced nuclear weapons are really complex and require facilities that would be hard to disguise in this satellite age.

Last edited:
A good friend of mine was in Cairo prior to this protest and told me that for the 4 days he was there there were young males driving the streets day and nite with loud speakers enciting other young males to protest. This event was well orchestrated by someone and was not a group of pitchfork toting patriots.

Quote:
Please, please please read more into the history of these events!!!! In Iran the reason America was hated was because WE had removed their democratically elected government!! We did that. We installed an easily manipulated cooperative dictator and the people revolted. What they ended up with is ugly and horrible and worse than what they had before, but it is partly OUR fault that it happened that way.

Iraq? Seriously? Seriously??? You think they LIKE us in Iraq? Wow.

Egypt has a well educated population, many of whom are secular. I have talked to many more Egyptians and yes I am talking to them not listening to third person accounts, who are as worried about the muslim brotherhood as the US is; and I have talked to members of the muslim brotherhood who wonder why we won't accept that they do not want theocracy, they they have grown over the years into something more nuanced than we perceive. I am not saying I am all for them taking over, but I am saying we should wait to leap to conclusions.

Back
Top Bottom