Hi there :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ama, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Ama

Ama Hatching

Jan 4, 2018
    My name is Ama. I live in the Blue Mountains (NSW, Australia) with my mum, my mum's partner, my younger sister, my boyfriend and our two cats (Latte aka fat boy and Bambi aka precious girl) and:

2x Mallard ducks - Daisy and Indigo (I think sisters)
    1x Mallard drake - Billie
    2x newly hatched (two days ago) ducklings - Bam Bam and Perfect (with more to come, the girls are sitting on a nest of 5 or so eggs)
    1x Chinese silkie rooster - Boston
    2x Chinese silkie hens - Cupcake and Timtam (sisters)
    2x Chinese silkie young hens - Strawberry (about 2-3 months old) and Tigerlilly (about 1-2 months old. Both children of Boston and Timtam, but Strawberry has been raised solely by Cupcake)
    1x Australorp hen - Obama
    1x Rhode Island Red hen - Chicka
    1x Australorp cross Chinese silkie young hen - Daytona (about 1-2 month old - child of Boston and Obama but born in the same clutch as Tigerlilly and raised by Timtam. Obama couldn't care less about her daughter lol)

When we got Boston for the clucky cupcake and Timtam we had to help strawberry out of her shell. She was having some problems so I came across this forum to seek advice. The other chick who got out healthily by itself mysteriously went missing and we still don't know what happened there but we have put in extra measures in their pen to make it extra secure. Strawberry survived and is a beautiful strong girl now.

Two nights ago, we found a duck egg in the middle of the pen. The girls (Daisy and Indigo) were sitting on their nest but this egg was just out in the open. Mum let Chicka out into the main pen to roam before bedtime and Chicka found the egg and peaked it open and luckily my mum was still there to find that the egg had a live baby in it. My partner and I had just finished dinner when mum frantically called for me and then the process of saving the babies life began. Again, with the help of different posts on this forum, we were able to save him and he survived the night. I gave him sugar water initially, cleaned him up using cotton tips and balls, sat him under two warm lamps and on top of a heating pad and played him mother duck sounds from Youtube. He also had a prolapse where his umbilical cord was but in the morning it had retracted and healed over. The next morning we reunited him with the mums and to our surprise, another duckling (perfect) had hatched overnight and greeted its sibling (Bam Bam) with joy. The mums were happy to take Bam Bam which was a relief.

Anyway, I thought I'd officially join the forum since I use it in times of emergency and maybe I can be of help to others in similar situations.

2. Orpingtons43

Orpingtons43 Songster

Dec 27, 2017
    Alabama
    :welcome:frow Glad you joined Backyard Chickens has so many helpful people here to help you with any of your questions! :ya

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word!

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sounds like you have a wonderful flock! Good luck with all of them and we are super glad you joined us! :)

4. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
  5. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    :welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise.
    It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Which duck had been sitting on the egg? It's very strange a lone egg would just show up in the middle of the pen with no warning, and no notice of a duck *sitting* on the egg. Pics please!!!

6. Hope Hughes

Hope Hughes Crossing the Road

Apr 1, 2017
    Madison, FL
    My Coop
    Hello:frow
    Welcome to BYC!!
    So glad to have you here!!
    Thanks for sharing your story!!
    Great intro!!
    There are many people on here that are ready to help in anyway they can!
    The learning center also has alot of great information on it as well!
    Enjoy!:wee

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G’Day from Far North Queensland Ama :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to pop in to the Aussie Thread and say hello.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

8. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya
    What a wonderful story. Great Job:thumbsup

MrsMistyReal, TwoCrows, N F C and 2 others like this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So glad you joined the Byc flock :wee

MrsMistyReal, TwoCrows, N F C and 3 others like this.
  10. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi Ama and welcome to BYC. You did a great job :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: