High Desert, California!!

Quote:
For one a Molted Houdan is a mellow chicken and one reason for this I believe is the head feathers tend to get in the eyes and they can not see very well the roosters do not tend to fight much but tend to run as for the hens so best not to have them around more aggressive chickens but do like to sit on their own eggs and hatch but then as with any animal different personalities will reveal themselves as one of my young lady's likes to come in the house when ever the door is opened ...

For one a Molted Houdan is a mellow chicken and one reason for this I believe is the head feathers tend to get in the eyes and they can not see very well the roosters do not tend to fight much but tend to run as for the hens so best not to have them around more aggressive chickens but do like to sit on their own eggs and hatch but then as with any animal different personalities will reveal themselves as one of my young lady's likes to come in the house when ever the door is opened ...

That's interesting to know, especially if contemplating what to do with extra roosters. I enjoy having the roosters around, and it is so much easier if they get along at some level.
House chicken! Chickens are as inquisitive as cats, and maybe more curious than scared sometimes...

A Tractor Supply Company store is opening in Hesperia, scheduled to open in January. As much as I love supporting the local feed stores (and will continue to do so), I think it's great. Sometimes the little guys just don't have everything needed for a project. Also excited that they should have chicks year round, and in labeled bins instead of all mixed together...

A Tractor Supply Company store is opening in Hesperia, scheduled to open in January. As much as I love supporting the local feed stores (and will continue to do so), I think it's great. Sometimes the little guys just don't have everything needed for a project. Also excited that they should have chicks year round, and in labeled bins instead of all mixed together...

Good information to have .....

I live in Pinon Hills (close to Phelan). I currently have 7 hens and would really, really like to add another 3 or 4 to my flock. I also don't want to deal with raising chicks (cute as they are). I am specifically looking for Dominiques, silver laced Wyandotte, Columbian Wyandotte or Olive eggers, pullets at least 10 - 12 weeks old. Does anyone know where I can buy any pullets locally? I have previously purchased all my 'girls' from Chickens Galore in Norco, and would do so again, but I haven't seen these breeds at his place and I really, really hate driving "down the hill" during the hours that he is open. Any help is appreciated!

Looking for information on anyone in the Antelope Valley that has hatching eggs for sale, or even a breeder of some kind. Looking for a variety of breeds to replace my current stock and we thought it would be fun to try our hand at incubation. If anyone has any leads that would be great!
With that being said I am also looking for a processor to send my old girls to to ready them for the pot. Any leads on that would also be appreciated!
Thanks!

Looking for information on anyone in the Antelope Valley that has hatching eggs for sale, or even a breeder of some kind. Looking for a variety of breeds to replace my current stock and we thought it would be fun to try our hand at incubation. If anyone has any leads that would be great!
With that being said I am also looking for a processor to send my old girls to to ready them for the pot. Any leads on that would also be appreciated!
Thanks!

You did nor specify any of the breeds you might be looking for
jumpy.gif

I apologize for that brain failure. I am looking to create a fun and funky flock of chickens. I am interested in Polish, silkies, frizzles, Legbars or Andaulsians but I just as easily would consider others if I don't currently have them in my flock. At the moment I have 14 but at least 6 will be ready for the pot soon. I have Australorps (which I would take eggs for), Rhode Island Reds, Americaunas (which I would also take eggs for given the parents color), Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, Black Sex links. Most of the flocks over the years have just been for egg laying purposes only. I thought this time around why not have a little fun....i.e. experiment. I think this group will be more for my family to raise as pets. My other group of layers I love to pieces and they have lots of personality. My older group has its moments but it is mostly comprised of birds I didn't hand raise but rather took in when someone had to get rid of their birds. They are certainly not as friendly.
My "younghens" The old Grumpy butts

Last edited:
Hi, I live in Phelan and I took my first run at chickens this past year. I got 4 chicks, we lost one very early on and we raised the other 3. Problem is, we only wanted hens but got 2 roosters and one hen. We culled one rooster as they were trying to kill each other at just 4 months old. Now we have two chickens, one Barred Rock and the other Australoop. Boy and Girl. I love the girl, she is sweet and a great layer. We keep them in a 12 x 12 pen with a nice coop inside. I really don't want the roo anymore but as flock birds I can't let the hen be alone, is there anyone willing to trade the two I have for 2 hens? I don't want to take the chance to raising chicks again only to end up with more boys.

Back
Top Bottom