Hoop run someplace windy?

ChixPix

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 6, 2010
If you have a hoop run (PVC) is it very heavy? I'd like some sort of movable run extension so my chickens can get some fresh grass. I would move it maybe once a week and let the grass grow back, and then move it again. The problem is, it's windy and I'm scared if it'd blow away. We had a storm last night and I found the lid to my firepit in the driveway, along with 2 coolers. My metal trash can about 100 yards away, etc. I don't want to stake it down as it would be a PITA to unstake it every time I wanted to move it, however I want it light enough for a couple people to move alone. I'm thinking maybe 8'x8'.

Oh good idea. Hmm...
Which gives me another idea. I could make corner brackets that are tied into the frame, and then just throw a sand bag on them. It'd keep me from having to tie/untie so much.

Go to your local hardware store and but some ground cloth stakes or try tent stakes. The ground cloth stakes are U shaped, depending on how big you PVC is it should fit. If not use tent stakes and tie the run to the stakes. Good luck.

I tried also to put a tarp on top of my tractor which I ziptied to the chicken wire fencing. I didn't weigh it down and when I got a good wind, it blew it over. Luckily no birds were in it at the time. Just be careful if you do what I did that it doesn't become a sail and make it easier to blow over.

I use my 2 PVC 4x8 runs for a run only. I move them around with the coop and they attach. Easy to move. We decided not to make a single 8x8 as it would be to heavy for me to move.

I love mine. They were fun to make and easy to use and move around. I love in a hill with constant wind, and haven't had a problem yet.

No stakes, I don't want to unstake every time I want to move it. If I do it, I'm thinking a wooden base, and then pvc attached to that for the frame, so the base would be heavy-ish.

Back
Top Bottom