homesteadmama8

In the Brooder
Dec 30, 2021
Hello!
Beginner chick owner here. I've ordered some cold-hardy laying breeds specifically so that I could have my ladies out year round once they're fully grown (Buff Orpington, Barred Plymouth Rock, and Australorp). Before I get my chicks...how cold is too cold for them to be outdoors?

I have a brooder set up indoors with an EcoGlow brooding plate for the beginning weeks, and I know that they won't be fully feathered until about 6 weeks of age. But when can they handle colder weather and no heating? (temps of 35-55)

Thank you!

I know that they won't be fully feathered until about 6 weeks of age. But when can they handle colder weather and no heating? (temps of 35-55)
Maybe at 6 weeks old, maybe a few weeks later. Some chicks grow their feathers much faster than others.

It's fairly easy to tell: watch whether they go under the brooder plate to warm up during the day, or whether they go under it to sleep at night. When they no longer use the brooder plate, they do not need it.

For your own peace of mind, look at the weather forecast before you take out the brooder plate-- pick a day when tomorrow is predicted to be warmer, not when tomorrow is supposed to be extra cold.

Maybe at 6 weeks old, maybe a few weeks later. Some chicks grow their feathers much faster than others.

It's fairly easy to tell: watch whether they go under the brooder plate to warm up during the day, or whether they go under it to sleep at night. When they no longer use the brooder plate, they do not need it.

For your own peace of mind, look at the weather forecast before you take out the brooder plate-- pick a day when tomorrow is predicted to be warmer, not when tomorrow is supposed to be extra cold.
Thank you for the advice!

I have a brooder set up indoors with an EcoGlow brooding plate for the beginning weeks, and I know that they won't be fully feathered until about 6 weeks of age. But when can they handle colder weather and no heating? (temps of 35-55)
Can you set the brooder in a room where you can close it off from the rest of the house and crack the window to keep the temp down lower in that room?
That can really help acclimate them to the colder temps.

I have a brooder set up indoors with an EcoGlow brooding plate for the beginning weeks,

Oh, I missed the "indoors" bit the first time I read it.

If you brood the chicks in the coop, then you can take the brooder plate out when they are not using it.

If you brood the chicks in the house, wait until they aren't using the brooder plate much, then move the chicks AND the brooder plate out to the coop. That will be colder than the house, so they will probably use the brooder plate more. Once they are used to being outside, and they again stop using the brooder plate, you can take it away permanently.

If you brood the chicks in the coop, then you can take the brooder plate out when they are not using it.
But when can they handle colder weather and no heating? (temps of 35-55)
Not sure this plate will work in the temps stated.

They state on their website that:
"IMPORTANT: This product is for indoor use only and the room temperature should not drop below 50°F (10°C)."
Not sure if that's just a CYA or a valid parameter.

Started new thread here to see if we can get some real life experiences doing so.

Not sure this plate will work in the temps stated.

They state on their website that:
"IMPORTANT: This product is for indoor use only and the room temperature should not drop below 50°F (10°C)."
Not sure if that's just a CYA or a valid parameter.
Good point @aart.

I would have assumed that day-old chicks will only be warm enough if the room is that warm, but that partly-feathered chicks would be fine with the plate in colder areas (because they do not need as much extra warmth.)

But since I have not actually tried it, my assumptions may be completely wrong.

(I have always brooded with heat lamps, and I know they can be safely used indoors or outdoors, with any ambient temperatures, as long as you use the right bulb size and the right distance for each situation. But I should not be assuming that all heat sources are as versatile as that.)

I would have assumed that day-old chicks will only be warm enough if the room is that warm, but that partly-feathered chicks would be fine with the plate in colder areas (because they do not need as much extra warmth.)
I've never had day old chicks to work with, but 2-3 day olds were fine outside down in mid 40s with just a heating pad. I set it up so they can snuggle down as much as possible the first week or so (extra bedding heaped under the heating pad, which is placed in a draft free section of the brooder so the chicks can really burrow under there) but after a week or so they stop wanting to burrow like that.

When are you getting your chicks, & where do you live? How many will there will be to snuggle together? I got my 15 in July in NY, used a heat plate for the first 4 weeks indoors with the windows open (it was pretty warm). They moved outside at 5 weeks, fully feathered, with no heat plate & temps in the 50s. They did great! If it dropped below 50s I probably would have waited a few more weeks to move them outdoors.

I've never had day old chicks to work with, but 2-3 day olds were fine outside down in mid 40s with just a heating pad. I set it up so they can snuggle down as much as possible the first week or so (extra bedding heaped under the heating pad, which is placed in a draft free section of the brooder so the chicks can really burrow under there) but after a week or so they stop wanting to burrow like that.
This is exactly what I have done. Worked great, and less risk of fire.

And once again, @rosemarythyme and I are in perfect agreement.

Back
Top Bottom